What you need to know
- Microsoft PowerToys was just updated to version 0.56.1.
- The update increases the number of supported FancyZones from 40 to 128.
- The Find my mouse feature in PowerToys can now be activated by shaking a mouse.
Microsoft's PowerToys just improved several of its best features in an update to version 0.56.1. The app now supports up to 128 FancyZones, up from its previous limit of 40. Shaking a mouse can now activate the Find my mouse utility in PowerToys as well. In addition to improving existing features, the most recent version of PowerToys fixes quite a few bugs.
Here are the highlights from Microsoft for version 0.56.1:
- Upgrade notes! A big feedback items for new versions was upgrade notes. We have the release notes on GitHub as well.
- FancyZones zone limit has been increased to 128 zones. Before the limit was 40.
- Timezone conversion plugin for PowerToys Run! Thanks @TobiasSekan
- Child and Popup window support for FancyZones. To enable, go to Settings→FancyZones→Windows. These were bugs we fixed that without realizing it was a useful feature to most.
- Find my mouse will now activate via shaking the mouse with a settings change!
The FancyZones feature is a window management utility that allows you to snap windows into different layouts. Some similar options are built into Windows 11, but FancyZones is more powerful when it comes to window management. With support for up to 128 FancyZones, you may need one of the best computer monitors to take full advantage of the feature.
The list of bug fixes and improvements can be found on the GitHub page for PowerToys.
Sean Endicott is the news writer for Windows Central. If it runs Windows, is made by Microsoft, or has anything to do with either, he's on it. Sean's been with Windows Central since 2017 and is also our resident app expert. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I now have a reason to buy 5 more monitors... And a bigger desk... And a few more GPUs...
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.