What you need to know
- Microsoft Remote Desktop received several new features in a new update.
- The update brings support for Windows Virtual Desktop.
- This is the first update for the app in over a year.
Microsoft rolled out an update for Microsoft Remote Desktop recently. It's the first update for the app in over a year, but it brings several significant features to the app (via OnMSFT). Perhaps most importantly, the app now supports Windows Virtual Desktop.
The complete changelog lists every new feature that's supported. Here's a quick breakdown:
- Support for the Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) service.
- Brand new Connection Center UI.
- Brand new in-session UI for switching between connected PCs and apps.
- New layout for the auxiliary on-screen keyboard.
- Improved external keyboard support.
- Support for SwiftPoint Bluetooth mice.
- Support for microphone redirection.
- Support for local storage redirection.
- Support for camera redirection (Windows 10 1809 or later required).
- Support for new iPhone and iPad devices.
- Dark and light theme support.
- Control whether your phone can lock when connected to a remote PC or app.
- Collapse the in-session connection bar with a long-press on the Remote Desktop logo.
Windows Virtual Desktop allows people to "deploy and scale" Windows desktop and apps on Azure. Microsoft's page explaining the service states that it is "the only virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) that delivers simplified management, multi-session Windows 10, optimizations for Office 365 ProPlus, and support for Remote Desktop Services (RDS) environments. Deploy and scale your Windows desktops and apps on Azure in minutes, and get built-in security and compliance features."
The rest of the newly supported features increase the range of devices that you can use, including newer iPhones and iPads.
This app allows you to access your PC or virtualized apps from just about anywhere using your iOS device.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Best Minecraft Dungeons character builds we've found so far
Minecraft Dungeons is a game all about the loot. As such, we thought we'd share some of the endgame builds we're currently using, that might help you get started with your own creations.
Check out these excellent Windows 10 laptops that come with LTE support
Need a quality Windows 10 laptop that can stay connected while on the go? Check out this roundup of the best devices complete with LTE modem.
The XPS 13, XPS 15, or XPS 17: Which Dell laptop would you choose?
Dell now has three different sizes for its XPS notebook. Each excels in its own right, so you might be wondering exactly which one is the best choice to suit your needs.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.