What you need to know
- Microsoft shared a roadmap for features for the new Microsoft Edge.
- The roadmap includes the planned release timeframe for features, as well as information about features in discussion, under review, and not planned.
- One feature that's now in discussion is bringing the tab preview from the old Edge to the new Edge.
Microsoft published a feature roadmap for the new Microsoft Edge. The roadmap includes features that are currently planned, in discussion, under review, and not planned. It gives an insight into the new Microsoft Edge's development because you can see where Microsoft is trying to take the browser.
The roadmap includes plans for some fan-favorite features, including the ability to sync browsing history and installed extensions between devices. Extension syncing already showed up on Microsoft Edge Canary.
Here are a few notable features Microsoft plans to roll out to the new Microsoft Edge:
- Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices
- Enable sync of browsing history between devices
- Make Edge available on Linux
- Support read aloud of PDF files
- Add the ability to ink on web pages
The roadmap also has several features categorized as "in discussion." Here a few of the most interesting potential features:
- Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame
- Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System
- Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge
- Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft
In addition to confirmed features and potential features, the roadmap lists a couple of features that are not planned, including allowing people to sign-in with a Google account and support for mouse gestures.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
These are our absolute favorite Mixer stream channels
Microsoft's Mixer streaming platform is seeing a massive upswing thanks to the on-boarding of Twitch superstar Ninja. If you're new to the platform, you might be wondering who else to follow. Here are a bunch of our favorite channels.
Half-Life: Alyx review — VR's defining shooter is deeper than you think
Half-Life: Alyx is more than just a game; it's at the forefront of the VR gaming space, and it pushes the medium ahead in the most important ways. A killer story, brilliant dialog, immensely detailed graphics, groundbreaking sound design, and environmental interaction that'll leave you spoiled after you complete its 15-hour campaign. Half-Life: Alyx is a masterpiece in every way.
Bethesda won't be holding a digital E3 showcase this year
We have some unfortunate news to share (and no, it's not an April Fool's joke). Bethesda Softworks has confirmed that it will not be holding a digital E3 showcase this year. Instead, news about Bethesda games will be shared in different ways in the months ahead.
Here's what you can use to block ads on Edge
Ad blockers are a wonderful thing. They do exactly what they're supposed to: block ads when browsing the web. Here's the best for Microsoft Edge.