What you need to know
- Microsoft Teams is available on many Android devices.
- The devices still on Android 5, 6, and 7 will no longer be supported starting at different points in 2022.
- You'll have a little bit of time to download the discontinued versions from the Play Store before they're gone for good.
There comes a time in most every app's life when it has to officially say goodbye to older versions of Android. Such is the case for Microsoft Teams, which is now formally bidding adieu to Android 5, 6, and 7. Support for those operating system iterations ends in 2022.
Here's Microsoft's timeline for the support cutoffs. It's different for each operating system version:
- Android 5 – The retirement of Android 5 will start in early March (3/1/2022) and complete by mid-March
- Android 6 – The retirement of Android 6 will start in early July (7/1/2022) and complete by mid-July. There will be no active development and bug fixes for this OS version after that, but we will continue to provide last supported version in the play store till September 2022.
- Android 7 – The retirement of Android 7 will start in early September (9/1/2022) and complete by mid-Sept. There will be no active development and bug fixes on the build after that, but we will continue to provide last supported version in the play store till December 2022.
Take note that with Android 6 and 7, you'll be able to grab Teams in the Play Store up to two months after support ends. The only advice Microsoft gives for users affected by the Android OS retirements is to upgrade to a newer version of Android.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Robert Carnevale is the News Editor for Windows Central. He's a big fan of Kinect (it lives on in his heart), Sonic the Hedgehog, and the legendary intersection of those two titans, Sonic Free Riders. He is the author of Cold War 2395. Have a useful tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.