What you need to know
- 1.18 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part Two is the next major content update for Minecraft, with dozens of new features and changes.
- Mojang Studios has been working hard on the imminent release for months, and now it's finally almost here.
- The second half of the 'Caves and Cliffs Update' officially arrives for all Minecraft platforms on Nov. 30, 2021.
- Highlights of the update include brand-new world generation, especially for mountains, caves, and ore deposits.
Minecraft is a constantly evolving game, and it's about to enjoy a ton of changes courtesy of 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two. Mojang Studios has been working on this release for months, and it includes a considerable number of new features for players to explore. On Wednesday, Mojang Studios finally revealed that 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two is releasing on Nov. 30, 2021.
Players have been waiting for this news for a while, which comes right after Mojang began releasing Pre-Release snapshots for Minecraft: Java Edition, indicating the update only needed last-minute polish and bug fixes. Now, we know the massive update is only a few weeks away from an official release for every platform Minecraft is available on, including both Minecraft: Bedrock Edition and Minecraft: Java Edition.
Some of the highlights of the upcoming update include:
- Revamped world generation for the Overworld, especially for mountains and hilly terrain
- Wildly redesigned caves, including new cave biomes and massively altered world generation underground
- A new world blending feature, which aims to meld old worlds with new seamlessly
- Newfound parity between Minecraft versions, including seed parity between worlds for the first time
- Candles for everyone!
- This update does not include archaeology, bundles, or goat horns, which have been delayed indefinitely (but are still coming)
1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two promises to be a big deal for Minecraft players, as our Minecraft worlds won't look the same after it is released. This finally finishes the Caves and Cliffs Update, which has dominated Minecraft in 2021 and has been the most ambitious release for the ongoing survival sandbox game. In case you missed it, Mojang Studios already announced what's coming next during Minecraft Live 2021, with The Wild Update coming in 2022 with a fresh batch of content additions and more.
Minecraft is already one of the best Xbox games you can play, and the upcoming release will undoubtedly elevate the experience further. Make sure you're prepared for when the update arrives on Nov. 30, mainly since 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two will introduce colossal changes to your existing worlds thanks to the new world generation.
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a vast following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox, Windows 10, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone and play anywhere.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.