What you need to know
- 1.18 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part Two is right around the corner, and Mojang Studios is working on finalizing the release.
- Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18 Pre-Release 2 is now rolling out to testers to further this objective, with new fixes and changes.
- There aren't any major new features here, and likely won't be between now and release, but there are some solid changes.
- This snapshot fixes a lot of errors and typos in the credits, and moves Minecraft to a new version of Java.
Minecraft is preparing for the arrival of 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two, which will include a huge number of brand-new features and changes for the ongoing survival sandbox. We're now in the final stages of development, with Mojang Studios now releasing Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18 Pre-Release 2 to insiders. This snapshot follows the first Pre-Release, and includes a brand-new batch of fixes for players to test.
There aren't any new features included in this snapshot, as expected, but there are fixes for Minecraft's credits (which previously had several typoes and mistakes), and other tweaks for polish across the board. This snapshot also pulls Minecraft: Java Edition to the version 17 of Java. 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two is now only a few weeks away, so expect a few more Pre-Release snapshots before release with new fixes.
Minecraft is already the greatest game ever made, numbered among the best PC games of all time. The upcoming content update promises to cement this even further with tons of new features for players to explore.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18 Pre-Release 2 includes:
- Minecraft now uses Java version 17
- If you are using a default setup the Launcher will download and install the correct version
- If you are using a custom Java setup or a third-party launcher, you will need to ensure that your Java installation is version 17 or above
- Floating water / lava above caves / cave carver doesn't update water
- Minecarts have old textures on the bottom
- Mineshaft generation is non-deterministic
- Large dripstone structures can be generated outside the caves
- Some high-speed particles lag / freeze the game
- Painting back texture is mirrored
- Goats on fire do not attempt to pathfind towards water
- Albert Pastore's name is grey and improperly indented in the credits
- Credits say ''IT Manager'' instead of ''IT Managers''
- "Explore, dream, discover" quote no longer appears after new credits
- Random names in the new credits use curly quotes / apostrophes
- Steven Silvester's name is misspelled in the credits
- In the credits, Elizabeth Batson's company name is improperly capitalized
- The usage and punctuation of "Inc" is still inconsistent in the credits
- Missing "(" in Frank Criscione credit
- Biome-exclusive mob spawn rates are reduced
- Seeds that spawn you in the middle of the ocean cause lag
- Server address shown when connection fails during server startup
- Passive mobs (cows, pigs, sheep, chickens) sometimes do not spawn
UpgradeDatain chunk is not migrated to new world height
- Crash and / or data corruption upon attempting to save a world with a world border center over 30 million blocks
- Sprinting while flying into a block causes the screen to zoom in and out rapidly
- Lava pockets generate in icebergs
- Kumi Tanioka isn't under "Music composed by" in the credits
- Upgrading old worlds causes vines to have the wrong block state
- Fences, iron bars, and glass panes often use an incorrect block state after conversion
- Water from old chunks don't properly propagate into new chunks
- Connected redstone does not properly upgrade from older versions
- Holes in worlds created in Alpha and Infdev below y=0 after conversion
- Duplicated mineshafts with new cave generation
- Mob Spawning in structures fails in pre-1.18 generated monuments / swamp huts / outposts
- Biomes in old chunks are not copied to new caves below Y=0 when chunks are extended
- "Allow Server Listings" option doesn't save its last setting
- Powder snow does not reduce or negate fall damage
- Some Mojang employees are not mentioned in the credits
dm.a(cao, cps, java.util.Random, gh)because the return value of
- Double chests have incorrect block states after upgrading old worlds
- Powered buttons, pressure plates, and tripwire hooks remain powered forever after upgrading old worlds
- Fossils get cut off at chunk borders
- Floating water generates around ravines
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.