What you need to know
- Mojang Studios is always working on new features and improvements for Minecraft, which are tested through betas and snapshots.
- The latest Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta includes plenty of expected bug fixes, but also a surprise addition.
- Frogs, one of the most exciting additions coming with 2022's 'The Wild Update,' are in Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 126.96.36.199.
- Players can test the amphibious mob by enabling the experimental feature and starting a new world.
It's a big day for Minecraft in more ways than one on Wednesday. On one hand, Minecraft is celebrating crossing one trillion views on YouTube, a massive accomplishment worthy of praise. On the other, Minecraft: Bedrock Edition's typically mundane beta is getting an exciting addition this time around with the release of Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 188.8.131.52. For the first time, Minecraft players get to play with frogs.
Recent Minecraft betas and snapshots still revolve around the Caves and Cliffs Update, but Mojang Studios is absolutely already looking ahead to the next major Minecraft content update, The Wild Update, which is slated to release at some point in 2022. Still, it'll be a surprise for many players to see such a sizeable feature from the aforementioned content release being tested so early, with frogs being one of the headling features of The Wild Update.
If you want to experiment with frogs, you can start a new world in Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 184.108.40.206 after enabling The Wild Update experimental features toggle. A lot of frog behaviors are enabled already, including croaking, jumping, swimming, and more. You can also breed frogs to hatch tadpoles, which will grow into different varieties of frogs depending on where they're born.
Minecraft is one of the greatest games ever made, and holds on to its title as one of the best Xbox games by continually evolving with new features and content. In case you missed it, Minecraft: Bedrock Edition 1.18.2 was recently released as a patch update with a variety of fixes and improvements for the game.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 220.127.116.11 includes:
- Frogs will spawn in Swamp biomes
- Frogs can croak, jump, swim, and walk on land
- Frogs can eat small Slimes, causing a Slime Ball to drop
- Frogs can be tempted and bred using Seagrass, but this is just a placeholder food for now
- Frogs lay eggs after mating
- Frog eggs that hatch spawn Tadpoles
- Tadpoles can swim in water
- Tadpoles "jump around" like fishes when on land, and eventually die
- Tadpoles that grow up will turn into a Frog
- Tadpoles grow into a different type of Frog based on the biome they are born in
- Tadpoles can be caught in a Bucket
Features & bug fixes
- Players no longer gain a particle effect when obtaining Bad Omen from Pillager Captains
- Sleeping in a Bed will once again trigger the fade to black screen
- The camera now will interpolate its position again when the player sneaks
- Villagers now make a "No" sound when attempting to make a trade when they are out of stock
- Fixed a bug where the Ender Dragon would become invisible when flying towards the portal fountain after dying
Stability & performance
- Fixed a crash that could occur when the player is near a village
- Fixed a crash that could occur when shift-clicking Armor in the Crafting Table while using Pocket UI
- Added appropriate padding to "Item Text Name" box UI for when players have Armor equipped in Survival mode and select items via the hotbar
- Fixed an issue where text shadows had a reduced offset when text message contains button glyph
- Added the Globe Banner Pattern on Bedrock
- Fixed a bug that caused the
/killcommand to not kill entities with the Absorption effect
- When using
/replaceitemon a Donkey's or Mule's Chest, the item will now go to the correct slot
- Axolotls, Bees, Boats, Cats, Dolphins, Glow Squids, Goats, Hoglins, Iron Golems, Ocelots, Pandas, Parrots, Pigs, Polar Bears, Squids, Striders, Wolves, and Zoglins can now have Balloons attached to them. Wow, that's a lot of mobs!
- Target API has been updated to API 30 for Google Play Store
- The game no longer crashes when you nest schedule commands in functions
- The random chance for a wild adult Ocelot to spawn with two children is now handled by components added in the entity JSON definition
- Access of missing public variables on other entities will return 0.0 and not cause an error
- Fix loading of public variables containing capital letters not to cause an error
slot.equippableas a slot option for
- Improved performance in
Dimension:spawnEntityto take a
- Added property
brokenBlockPermutationto indicate which kind of block was broken
- Added property
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox, Windows 10, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone and play anywhere.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.