What you need to know
- Minecraft is one of the biggest games of all time, having accrued over 141 million monthly active users.
- On Wednesday, Mojang Studios and YouTube came together to reveal that Minecraft has crossed another major milestone.
- Minecraft was the most-watched topic on YouTube in 2020, and now it's the very first video game to cross over one trillion total views.
- To celebrate the accomplishment, YouTube is getting a Minecraft makeover, and highlighting Minecraft creators and moments.
It's no secret that Minecraft is one of the most successful video games of all time, and now the creative sandbox survival game has crossed yet another milestone. On Wednesday, Mojang and YouTube have combined forces to reveal that Minecraft is the first video game to accumulate over one trillion combined views officially. This impressive accomplishment is being celebrated in a number of ways, with Minecraft boasting a variety of impressive metrics on the video-sharing platform.
During Minecraft Live 2021, Mojang Studios took the opportunity to reveal that Minecraft continues to grow in scale and community over time, with over 141 million monthly active users reported in Aug. 2021. It was also shared that Minecraft was the most-watched topic on YouTube in 2020 with over 201 billion combined views, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the game has now surpassed one trillion views in total near the end of 2021.
The Minecraft community on YouTube consists of over 35,000 established creators across 150 countries and territories, all of which have helped maintain Minecraft as the most-watched video game topic on YouTube for years. Here's how YouTube and Mojang Studios are celebrating Minecraft surpassing this milestone:
- A Minecraft-themed makeover for YouTube. For the next 24 hours, the YouTube homepage will be decked out with a new logo celebrating Minecraft and its creators.
- Curated playlists and community celebrations. YouTube is debuting curated playlists that highlight fan-favorite Minecraft videos from over the years, including the most accomplished creators and most-watched videos. There's also a brand-new animated video featuring many of these same creators. Finally, YouTube Minecraft creators are taking over the official YouTube Instagram account for a single day to share their favorite Minecraft moments.
- A new way to view Minecraft trends. The official YouTube Culture & Trends website now has a dedicated Minecraft landing page, where viewers can go to peruse Minecraft's various statistics and metrics over time for creators, videos, and topic trends. The landing page also features editorials exploring Minecraft and its YouTube creators' effects on the world.
- The YouTube Creator Skin Pack. Available for free in the Minecraft Marketplace for one year, the YouTube Creator Skin pack features Minecraft skins and Character Creator items inspired by many of Minecraft's biggest YouTube creators.
Minecraft is one of the greatest games of all time, as made clear by how many continue to show considerable amounts of interest in this long-running legendary video game. In 2021, Minecraft amassed hundreds of billions of views to cross that one trillion view milestone, and it's earning more all the time. Minecraft is one of the best Xbox games you can play right now, but it's also a lot of fun just watching what other people can do with it. Congratulations to Mojang Studios and Minecraft's YouTube creators on this accomplishment.
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox, Windows 10, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone and play anywhere.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.