What you need to know
- The next major Minecraft update, 1.18 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part Two, is right around the corner.
- In the final stages of development, Mojang Studios is releasing a bug-fixing Pre-Release snapshot practically every day.
- Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18 Pre-Release 8 is now available with a handful of additional fixes.
- 1.18 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part Two officially releases on Nov. 30, 2021.
1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update is mere days away from an official release, and Mojang Studios is working tirelessly to polish the update before then. Minecraft players can now test Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18 Pre-Release 8, the latest in a long series of iterative Pre-Release snapshots that fixes bugs and introduces various improvements to the major content update.
Like its predecessor, and most before that, this snapshot does not include any new features. Instead, Mojang is focusing on polish and stability, making for a rather unexciting snapshot. Still, it's important the studio gathers feedback on these Pre-Release snapshots to fix any lingering or last-minute issues before release day.
Minecraft is already the greatest game ever made, numbered among the best PC games of all time. The upcoming content update promises to cement this even further with tons of new features for players to explore.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18 Pre-Release 8 includes:
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "it.unimi.dsi.fastutil.objects.ObjectSet.remove(Object)" because "$$4" is null
- Eating whilst traveling through a Nether portal prints error in-game log
- Parity Issue: Ravagers still attack baby villagers in Java Edition
- Game freezes without crash logs when upgrading from 1.12.2 to 1.18 pre-5
- Cats no longer scare phantoms away
- Crash after respawning
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.