What you need to know
- Minecraft: Java Edition tests upcoming changes and updates through periodic snapshots.
- The latest snapshot is now available to interested testers, and includes a handful of fixes and one new creator update.
- Players are still waiting for Mojang Studios to begin earnest testing on The Wild Update, which is arriving later this year.
It has been long established that any upcoming features or updates arriving for Minecraft: Java Edition are first tested through frequently released snapshots, which any interested Java Edition players can access. Mojang Studios prefers to release its latest snapshots on Wednesday, which brings us to the release of Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w07a to PC players.
The latest snapshot is decidedly minor, including only a few fixes and one new creator update that allows the use of biome tags when creating custom worlds. Other than that, this snapshot doesn't include anything in the way of features from The Wild Update, which Mojang Studios is still working on in the background ahead of more significant future testing.
Despite this, Snapshot 22w07a is still available for testing to interested players, improving the Caves and Cliffs Update with additional polish and fixes. In case you missed it, Minecraft: Bedrock Edition 1.18.12 arrived earlier today as a new hotfix update for Minecraft's more universal edition.
Minecraft: Java Edition is indubitably one of the best PC games you can play, and it only continues to get better over time. The Wild Update is slated to arrive later in 2022 with new biomes, mobs, quality-of-life improvements, and more in tow.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w07a includes:
- Biome tags are now used to determine which biomes a structure can generate in
- Grass blocks can generate underwater
- Glow squids spawn in villager farms and wells in superflat worlds
- Rooted dirt can replace cave vines
- Tropical Fish in lush caves spawn in bubble columns
- Enchanting table registers block diagonally above the bookshelves as blocking said bookshelf
- Falling block visual glitch when dying with doImmediateRespawn
- Lava can burn, damage, and destroy entities client-side and lead to de-sync
- Active repeating command blocks stop running after world conversion to 1.18
- The game crashes when attempting to open the beacon GUI
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, Xbox Game Pass for Xbox consoles and PC Game Pass for Windows devices, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go fun. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.