What you need to know
- The next content update for Minecraft will be The Wild Update, releasing later in 2022.
- On Wednesday, Mojang Studios released Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w18a to test more of The Wild Update.
- The snapshot includes plenty of technical updates and bug fixes, but few new features or other improvements.
- A new Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta was also released today.
2022 continues to march inexorably forward, and the release of The Wild Update continues to inch ever closer. Mojang Studios is working tirelessly behind the scenes to deliver a comprehensive and feature-packed update later this year, and it's involving the Minecraft community at every step of the way.
Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w18a is releasing alongside a new Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta with plenty of changes and fixes for The Wild Update, the major content update releasing to Minecraft players at some point in 2022.
This release doesn't include any new feature additions, and instead focuses on technical updates like commands and a handful of important bug fixes. While not a particularly exciting snapshot, Minecraft can't maintain its spot at the top of the PC games pile without constantly improving every aspect of itself, and Mojang Studios is distinctly aware of this.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w18a includes:
- Allays now follow their liked player even if they can't see them
- Allays will only lose track of a player if they are more than 64 blocks away
- The texture of the sonic boom particle has been updated
- Vibration listeners such as Sculk Sensors, Sculk Shriekers and Wardens now listen to the closest vibration instead of the first vibration in the tick
- Banner patterns available in the Loom can now be controlled with tags (
banner_pattern/no_item_requiredfor no pattern item and
banner_pattern/pattern_item/*for specific banner pattern items)
- Servers can now define different chat style formats for clients
- Removed the
- Added the
- The bundled Java runtime has been upgraded to 17.0.3
- Removed loot table function
- Added loot table
- Chat from the
/mecommands are now all also cryptographically signed
- Different chat style formats can now be controlled by the server through the
- These are synchronized to clients when they join the server
- The translation key or translation format can be defined, like
%s says: "%s"
- Chat can be similarly optionally narrated with a custom translation key or format
- The entire message can have formatting applied, such as italics or a specific color (but currently not click or hover events)
- New command that replaces
placefeatureand can place features, jigsaws and structures at a given location
place feature <feature> [pos]
place jigsaw <pool> <start> <depth> [pos]
place structure <structure> [pos]
feature: The namespaced
idof a feature to try to place
structure: The namespaced
idof a structure to try to generate
pool: The namespaced
idof a template pool to start generating
start: The namespaced
idname of a jigsaw to use as the starting anchor
depth: The maximum number of jigsaw connections to traverse during placement
pos: The position to use as the origin for the generation (if omitted,
~ ~ ~is used)
- Sets item tags needed for instrument items to a random value selected from a tag
options— a tag reference specifying the instrument options to pick from randomly
- Simultaneous vibrations don't trigger as expected
- Minecraft does not resolve SRV records correctly
- The invitation and news buttons aren't consistently displayed within the realms menu
- The walking animation of frogs doesn't change in relation to their movement speed
- Only one sculk vein drops when using a Silk Touch hoe on multiple in a single block space
- Sculk Catalysts will spread sculk if a baby mob that does not drop experience dies around it
- Allays lose picked up items on world restart
- Allays leashed to a fence do not move and refuse to pick up items
- Ancient Cities can be submerged in aquifers
- Parity Issue: Allays don't follow the player / note blocks as closely on Java
- Snow layers cannot be placed on top of mud
- Improper advancement description for "Sneak 100"
- "Sneak 100" advancement includes sculk shriekers as a block that can "hear" the player
- Warden / frogs continue animations when the game is paused
- Warden can still detect things after it dies
- Warden continues to roar when angered by an ignited creeper
- Warden continues to roar when the target of the enraged warden suffers an unnatural death
- Warden continues to roar at disconnected players
- Warden continues to roar at targets in unloaded chunks
- Warden continues to roar at despawned target
- Warden continues to roar when the target enters the nether portal, end portal or end gateway
- Warden sonic boom attacks can hit player even if the player has entered another dimension
- Wardens can sometimes freeze when overwhelmed with enemies/attacks/sounds
- Mangrove leaves can appear at a higher altitude when grown below y = 0
- Allay permanently stuck trying to pick up item stack if its slots contain stack of the same type with differing NBT (and vice versa)
- Game fails to load worldgen settings when
.DS_Storefiles are present in datapack
- There is a goat horn in the creative Destroy Item slot / all tabs within the creative inventory contain goat horns
- User skins don't load in singleplayer
- Game crashes when a goat horn with an invalid sound variant is used /
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Index <index> out of bounds for length 8
- Player is assigned a new UUID in singleplayer
MinecraftClientHttpExceptionwhen opening / creating a world
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, Xbox Game Pass for Xbox consoles and PC Game Pass for Windows devices, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go fun. Minecraft: Java Edition is now included in PC Game Pass, with all of its snapshots in tow.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.