What you need to know
- The Nether Update is the most recent major Minecraft release, changing the entire Nether dimension.
- Despite the update being officially released, it's still getting new features and changes in recent beta builds.
- The newest snapshot for the Java Edition adds the piglin brute, a new hostile mob that resides in bastion remnants.
- The piglin brute already came to the Bedrock Edition's beta, so this snapshot brings them up to date.
Just under a week after a beta for the Bedrock Edition added piglin brutes to the Nether Update, the Java Edition is getting in on the action with snapshot 20w27a. This is all in preparation of a future 1.16.2 update for the Nether Update that will tweak and alter existing features, as well as add one all-new feature. You guessed it, I'm talking about the piglin brute, a truly hostile mob that guards bastion remnants with their lives (aided by rather nasty looking axes).
Here's what you need to know about piglin brutes:
- Piglin Brutes are stronger versions of Piglins that live in bastions and protect the treasures there
- Unlike their cowardly and greedy counterparts, the Piglin Brutes cannot be distracted by gold and aren't afraid of anything
- Piglin Brutes attack players on sight, no matter how the player is dressed
- Piglin Brutes wield axes and don't need any armor, because they're just that tough
While piglins can be bartered with, piglin brutes will attack anything that steps foot inside its home, so it's best to be wary of them at all times. There won't be any new features added in the 1.16.2 update in a few weeks, but it's still interested to see Mojang Studios continue to actively add to the Nether Update for Minecraft.
If you're interested, you can check out the full changelog here, as the 20w27a snapshot also includes lots of bug fixes and general improvements. Or you can skip that and learn how to play the snapshot yourself.
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.
Xbox (opens in new tab)
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer primarily focused on covering the latest news, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been with Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019. While originally brought on to write about all things Minecraft, Zachary has since expanded to write about practically everything that Windows Central covers. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.