What you need to know
- Part One of the 'Caves and Cliffs Update' for Minecraft is right around the corner, and arrives next week.
- Mojang Studios is working on final polish and refinements for the major update with betas and Pre-Release snapshots.
- Minecraft: Java Edition 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Pre-Release 4 is now rolling out to testers with new bug fixes.
- There's also one small tweak, contributing to a week-long run-up to release full of minor improvements and fixes.
Mojang Studios isn't taking any breaks, and is already replacing yesterday's Minecraft: Java Edition Pre-Release 3 snapshot with the latest version of the 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update for Minecraft. Today, Minecraft: Java Edition Caves and Cliffs Update Pre-Release 4 is rolling out to testers with a fresh batch of bug fixes and one new tweak in the name of last-minute polish. There's less than a week to go until a public release, as Part One of the Caves and Cliffs Update officially releases on June 8
As with all the other Pre-Release snapshots (and the future ones inevitably arriving over the next few days), don't expect any major changes or feature additions. At this point, Part One of the Caves and Cliffs Update is feature complete and nearly finished. Mojang Studios is simply working on fixing as many lingering bugs as possible and making a few tweaks and tiny improvements to the overall experience. The highlight of Pre-Release 4 is all about improving the credits, including a small change that makes it easier to speed through them.
The Caves and Cliffs Update is just around the corner, and that means a ton of new features and content for Minecraft fans to play with and discover. Three new mobs and up to 91 new blocks and items are arriving on June 8, 2021. If you're a huge Minecraft fan, take a look at our list of best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts for some awesome ways to celebrate.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Caves and Cliffs Update Pre-Release 4 includes:
Caves and Cliffs Update preview
- Download the new datapack
- Holding down control while holding down space now makes the credits scroll even faster
- Credits not alphabetically ordered
- In the credits, "EXPERIS" is in all capital letters for two employees
- In the credits, a closing parenthesis is missing for Brian Canning
- The credits say "Wed Developers" instead of "Web Developers" in one place
- In the credits, "TEN GUN DESIGN INC" is in all capital letters for one employee
- Some people are listed twice in the credits
- The usage and punctuation of "Inc." and "LLC" are inconsistent in the credits
- Credits Text Wrapping
- When a crossbow is loaded in the offhand, you cannot see it or shoot with it if an item is held in the main hand
- Game crashed whilst debug profiling
- Any hostility between animals is removed in peaceful
- Experimental Settings confirmation prompt appears when creating any world in 1.17-pre3
- C418 is removed from Composers in credits.json
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.