Growing up we all played an insane amount of Minesweeper. You know that game where you do your best not to detonate a mine? Microsoft is taking the basics of Minesweeper and giving it a modern remake with a new game for Windows 8.1 called Microsoft Treasure Hunt.
Microsoft Treasure Hunt is a Windows 8.1 game that blends traditional Minesweeper puzzle solving with an adventure story. Your job is explore underground labyrinths in search of fortune. Here’s all that you get with the game:
- Find hidden bonus levels loaded with treasure
- Stop at the Greedy Mummy Shop to purchase supplies and permanent upgrades
- Pick up and play anywhere – games are saved in the cloud
- Touch screen controls provide a modern, fun way to play
- Connect with your Xbox account to earn achievements and track stats
- Compete with your friends on the leaderboards
We’re digging the fact that games are saved in the cloud. We weren't the best at Minesweeper, we'll have to see how we fare on Microsoft Treasure Hunt.
The game isn’t available to everyone just yet. It’s currently being “soft launched”. Microsoft did something similar with Halo: Spartan Assault, AlphaJax and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger last summer. The game is available to those who switch their region to a specific country in the Lesser Antilles.
We’ll of course let you know when the game is broadly available. In the meantime, you can check it out yourself in the Windows Store.
P.S. As timiterino pointed out in the comments below, this isn't a new game per se. You can play this as one of the modes in Microsoft Minesweeper. Grab that from the Windows Store.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.