Those of you in the Alpha ring have a new build to look forward to, containing fixes for Games & Apps, Party Chat, microphones, and Skype Preview. No major new features have arrived in this build, but Skype Preview and OneDrive UWP recently landed, as the current wave approaches general release for the planned spring launch of the Windows 10 Creators Update.
Additionally, Xbox representatives recently mentioned that Xbox Insider Program Rings 3 and 4 will soon see some updates of their own, so if you're still waiting to jump on and do some testing, it shouldn't be too much longer. Here are the details for today's patch.
OS version released: rs_xbox_dev_flight.170308-1900
Available: 4:00PM PST 3/11 (12:00AM GMT 12/3)
Games & Apps
- Fixed an issue which could sometimes cause games to unexpectedly crash during play. • Improved the launch times for certain games and apps.
- Resolved an issue which caused Party Chat to display a "no microphone" error when a microphone is connected and in use.
- Fixed an issue which sometimes caused microphone audio to not be recognized or sound distorted. This affected game chat (users in group can't hear the user speaking, or audio quality is poor) and voice messaging (voice messages fail to record correctly).
- Resolved an issue which could sometimes cause Skype to crash while multiple users are signed in.
- Party chat will stop functioning when headset audio is switched from Stereo Uncompressed to Windows Sonic while in a party.
- Upon resuming from connected standby, you may be prompted to update your controller firmware when no update is available.
- Cortana may take a long time to respond when activated while playing certain games.
- Some users may not receive certain types of notifications.
- After capturing a game clip, the game clip fails to automatically post to the Activity Feed (if your profile is configured to do so). Workaround:Manually view game clips in Profile > Captures > Manage captures and post to the Activity Feed.
- The EA Access app may indicate you are not an EA Access subscriber when you are. This does not affect your ability to download or play games from the Vault, or receive discounts on EA titles.
- The screen may dim after a short amount of time while viewing videos in certain apps (Hulu Plus).
Settings - Ease of Access
- When enabling the Mono output setting in Ease of Access - Audio, Settings becomes unresponsive, crashes, and fails to launch on subsequent attempts. Workaround:To launch Settings, perform a hard reset (hold down the button on the front of the console for five seconds until it fully powers down, then power it back on).
Settings - Display & sound
- The Audio output page is under construction and some of the new settings are not yet functional. New support is planned for Dolby Atmos for home theater, Dolby Atmos for headphones, and more in upcoming builds. An announcement will be made when these new features are ready to try out; enabling these settings now will have no effect.
- The Wireless Display app fails to launch and immediately crashes to Home.
Jez Corden is a Senior Editor for Windows Central, focusing primarily on all things Xbox and gaming. Jez is known for breaking exclusive news and analysis as relates to the Microsoft ecosystem while being powered by caffeine. Follow on Twitter @JezCorden and listen to his Xbox Two podcast, all about, you guessed it, Xbox!
"Fixed an issue which could sometimes cause games to unexpectedly crash during play" is this why Dan keeps disconnecting during the beam streams
Woohoo ring 3 soon so exciting.
Kinda glad updates are soon arriving for Ring 3, and not just because I'm feeling excluded; I'm also spared from some fairly major bugs. Being on the fast ring on all devices can become tiring when you've had enough tech issues for one day and simply need it to 'work'.
It isn't game crashing my end its more Beam Broadcasting keeps stopping hope they fixed that Want to Broadcast love it
Well yesterday I was unable to play COD Infinite Warfare got a disc read error on a digital game...even have to turn on and of the external hard drive 3 times in order to make it show all my games.
Sorry for being rookie but how to get into alpha/beta ring??? I see no quests anything which increase my points on my insider app. Is it only been available to chosen few? Just wanna know... That's all!! ;)
Be very responsive and active when the update with those new quests became available for your ring.
Nothing for ring 4 again i see 😏
Are there any unreleased features then?
I am on Ring 3 so hopefully will see am update soon. Been waiting for quite some time now. My last update was in 2016.
seams to be working smoother now
I like lvl 10's Scout picture better than lvl 11 on the Xbox Insider Hub app. Just a random thought that popped into my mind.
Man being on Ring 3 is like we don't exist.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.