Resident Evil 2 is a masterclass in video game remakes, putting the horror franchise firmly back in the spotlight. All of the old-school weapons return, including Leon's iconic Magnum pistol that can devastate entire columns of lined up zombies.
Grabbing it is entirely optional to completing the game, however, and many people might miss it entirely. Here's our guide on how to grab it.
Note: There may be location-based spoilers in this guide.
How to get the Lightning Hawk Magnum in Resident Evil 2
Grabbing the Magnum is only possible during the mid-game, when you're in the Sewer segment of the game. You'll notice the Magnum initially when you're in the S.T.A.R.S. office on the west side of the second floor of the police station. Once you progress to the sewers, obtaining the Magnum becomes possible, but requires a fair bit of backtracking.
- First, you'll need the red book from the library on the second floor. It's next to the door that connects to the Main Hall.
- Next, you'll need the right arm from the statue in the Art Room, on the East side of the Police Station second floor. This is also where the weapon's locker keycard is for Leon's shotgun.
- Combine the right arm and the red book, and place it back into the statue in the Art Room.
- The statue will relinquish its sceptre.
- Inspect the sceptre to obtain the ruby gem.
- Now, you need the bejewelled box. In Leon Scenario A, it's in the Police Station's Observation Room on the first floor. In Scenario B, it's in the Shower Room on the third floor.Note: To get to the Observation Room, you'll need to go down from the second floor, opening the shutter using the crank handle found in the Police Station's holding cells, in the basement.
- Combine the bejewelled box with the ruby gem to open it up, and receive the S.T.A.R.S. badge USB stick.Note: Examining the S.T.A.R.S. badge in your inventory reveals that it can be opened like a USB stick.
- Go back to the S.T.A.R.S. office on the Police Station second floor, and use the S.T.A.R.S. badge to unlock the weapons cabinet at the back of the room via the PC.
- Now you have the Magnum! Be sure to retrieve the stick after you unlock the Magnum storage. You'll need it later.
How to get the Lightning Hawk Magnum upgrades in Resident Evil 2
The first upgrade is a long barrel, found in a weapon's case on the lower portion of the secret room beneath the statue in the Main Hall of the police station. To open it, simply examine the S.T.A.R.S. badge and close the USB portion of badge, and then insert it into the box. Getting to this location in the right order is easy enough in Leon Scenario B, but in Leon Scenario A, it requires a bit of backtracking.
- In Scenario A, grab the Sewer Key from near the Cable Car on the Middle Section of the sewers.
- Backtrack to the Worker's Break Room on the upper section of the sewers. The key will let you in.
- In the back of the room, there's a hidden elevator behind a cupboard. Push the cupboard to reveal it.
- The elevator lets you get back to the Secret Room beneath the Police Station Main Hall. The Magnum parts lockbox is on the lower level in this area.
How to get the Lightning Hawk Magnum scope in Resident Evil 2
You can also get a Magnum scope to improve the aiming accuracy of the gun. You'll need the T-shaped crank to do this part.
- In the upper section of the sewers, head to the Work room.
- On the table, there's a roll of film that you need to develop, granting two photographs that show the location of the Scope parts.
- Use the secret elevator in the Worker's Break Room, detailed in the above section.
- Use the T-shaped crank to open the Secret Room statue wall to re-enter the Police Station. Go back to the police station Dark Room on the west side of the first floor to develop the film.
- It reveals the location of the Magnum scope in Wesker's Desk in the S.T.A.R.S. office on the second floor of the police station.
- Head there, and grab your shiny new Magnum scope.
Resident Evil 2 is a sure-fire return to form for the franchise, following on from the success of the incredible Resident Evil 7. Be sure to hit the link below for more guides and information on RE2.
Resident Evil 2 Guides and info
Resident Evil 2 is available now on Xbox One, PS4, and PC, for $59.99.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Jez Corden a Managing Editor at Windows Central, focusing primarily on all things Xbox and gaming. Jez is known for breaking exclusive news and analysis as relates to the Microsoft ecosystem while being powered by caffeine. Follow on Twitter @JezCorden and listen to his Xbox Two podcast, all about, you guessed it, Xbox!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.