Sega Europe publishing VP is 'really happy' with Xbox Game Pass, says it pushed Two Point Hospital over 3 million players
Additional insight into how Xbox Game Pass aids game developers.
What you need to know
- Anna Downing, senior vice president of commerical publishing at Sega Europe, spoke with Eurogamer about Xbox Game Pass.
- Downing says that Sega Europe is "really happy" with the results of the service so far.
- Additionally, Downing states that adding Two Point Hospital to Xbox Game Pass helped push the franchise over 3 million players.
Microsoft's game subscription service Xbox Game Pass has been growing steadily over the last couple of years, with increased first-party investment and third-party deals adding games regularly. Still, questions about exactly how Xbox Game Pass works, maintains profitability and whether or not it's good for developers overall still continue to be asked.
Speaking with Eurogamer, Anna Downing, senior vice president of commercial publishing at Sega Europe, said that "We're really happy with the results" and added that Microsoft wanted "quality titles." Downing also gave an example for how adding Sega titles into Xbox Game Pass has been successful, saying that adding Two Point Hospital to the service helped push the franchise over 3 million players.
With other major titles from Sega coming up this year such as Total War: Warhammer 3, it'll be interesting to see what — if any — other games are added to Xbox Game Pass in the near future.
Xbox Game Pass currently has over 18 million subscribers, according to Microsoft's latest financial results. Xbox Game Studios titles release into the service day one and Bethesda Softworks titles will do likewise when Microsoft's acquisition of ZeniMax Media is completed.
Best of all worlds
Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold in one
Xbox Game Pass gives you access to over 200 games for one monthly fee. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate also adds Xbox Live Gold to the package so you can play online with your friends. You also get access to EA Play.
Xbox Series X/S
- Xbox Series X: Everything we know
- Best games coming to Xbox Series X/S
- List of Xbox Series X specs
- What is the Xbox Series X release date?
- How much does Xbox Series X cost?
- Why you can't preorder Xbox Series X yet
- Best Xbox Series X Headsets
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
Samuel Tolbert is a freelance writer covering gaming news, previews, reviews, interviews and different aspects of the gaming industry, specifically focusing on Xbox and PC gaming on Windows Central. You can find him on Twitter @SamuelTolbert.
Detractors should understand that people playing your game is good business, even within Game Pass. It's a great place to have a game on, for a multitude of reasons.