What you need to know
- Custom background support is rolling out to Skype on Windows, Mac, Linux, and the web.
- The update also makes it easier to access call controls.
- Custom backgrounds are not available on Skype for Windows 10 but are available on the desktop version of Skype that you can download on Windows.
A new update to Skype is rolling out to people this week. The update brings support for custom backgrounds within video calls on devices running Windows, macOS, Linux, and on the web. The update is not available for Skype for Windows 10 (Version 14) but is available on the desktop version of Skype that you can get on Windows 10. The update started rolling out on April 16, 2020 but is rolling out gradually throughout this week.
There are multiple ways to use Skype on Windows 10, and only some of them support custom background images within video calls. Microsoft's naming for its different Skype apps can be confusing, but if you want to use custom backgrounds on Windows, grab the desktop version of Skype.
Here's the complete changelog of the update currently rolling out:
- This could be anywhere: Want to look like you're calling from the beach, or from space? Now you can, with custom backgrounds for your video calls. Learn more about backgrounds in Skype. Note: Background improvements are not available for Skype for Windows 10 (Version 14).
- Share all the things, Part 2: Now you can share files directly from your Mac to your Skype contacts, as well.
- Faster on the draw: You now have quicker access to call controls in the chat menu. Learn more about what you can do in a call.
- Bug fixes and stability improvements. We've chased a few bugs out of the attic and done some spring cleaning.
Microsoft has a page that breaks down how to set up custom backgrounds within Skype and how to blur backgrounds within video calls.
Blurring a background or using a custom background image is particularly handy when you're working from home. You can blur the background to hide confidential material or a mess in your home office. Custom backgrounds can also make it feel like people on calls aren't sitting in impromptu offices do to being stuck at home.
Chat from anywhere
Skype has apps on every platform and supports every kind of communication, including text, voice, and video.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Everything we know so far about Cyberpunk 2077 on PC and Xbox One
Cyberpunk 2077 is the next massive game expected to be released by CD Projekt RED, the studio behind The Witcher series. Here's all we know about it so far.
Are we one step closer to a Fallout: New Vegas sequel after ZeniMax deal?
With Microsoft's acquisition of both Bethesda and Obsidian Entertainment, it's now possible that we could see the developers of Fallout: New Vegas return to Bethesda's post-apocalyptic RPG franchise for round two. Here's why they should.
Review: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro is the PC RAM to buy
The Vengeance RGB Pro continues to be the obvious DRAM choice for system builders around the world, with Corsair offering stellar performance backed by multi-zone RGB lighting.
Everything you need to build your own NAS setup (and what it will cost)
Running out of storage on your PC or laptop is the worst. Building your own Network Attached Storage (NAS) can help make sure you never have to experience misery.