Skype Insiders will see improved performance following an update to Electron 11
The latest Insider build of Skype is powered by Electron 11.
What you need to know
- Skype Insiders have updates rolling out across several platforms.
- One update improves Skype by updating to Electron 11.
- The update also includes a few fixes for Skype.
Microsoft is rolling out updates to Skype Insiders on several platforms. The latest Insider build brings Skype to version 22.214.171.124. It improves Skype clients powered by Electron by updating to Electron 11 and also adds some new features.
Electron 11 rolled out last November and includes several improvements. Most notably for Skype, the move to Electron 11 will improve overall performance.
Here's everything that's new and fixed in Skype version 126.96.36.199:
- Introducing the last message avatar in a small circle over the group chat icon so you can easily see who wrote the last message. If you would like to turn it on/off, just go to the appearance settings.
- Adding support for in-client Skype Number purchases on iOS. Currently available for US & UK Skype Numbers.
- Updating to Electron 11 to improve the overall performance and fix some bugs caused previous Electron version.
- Improved Skype for Windows startup performance
- iOS 13 notifications improvements
- Issues with updating Skype on macOS Big Sur
- Double badge count in the taskbar icon
- Issues with buying Skype credit / subscription
In addition to the new features and improvements, the latest Insider build of Skype fixes some issues, including the annoying issue that caused double badge counts in the app's taskbar icon.
If you aren't already a Skype Insider but would like to be, Microsoft has a page with links to become an Insider on every supported platform.
Chat from anywhere
Skype has apps on every platform and supports every kind of communication, including text, voice, and video.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at email@example.com.