What you need to know
- Microsoft recently released a firmware update for the Surface Pro 8.
- The update improves several aspects of the device, including Thunderbolt AMD eGPU support and the reliability of logging on with a Type Cover with a fingerprint reader.
- New Surface Pen haptics are also enabled with the update
The Surface Pro 8 recently received its November 2021 firmware update. Following the update, the Surface Pro 8 should have improved reliability and stability in several key areas. Notably, this update improves touchscreen stability, Thunderbolt AMD eGPU support, and the reliability of logging in with a Type Cover with a fingerprint reader. New Surface Pen haptics have also been added, though Microsoft does not specify any new experiences.
Here are the highlights of the November 2021 firmware update for the Surface Pro 8:
- Improves new Type Cover Fingerprint login reliability.
- Improves graphics stability and performance.
- Improves system security.
- Enables new Surface Pen haptics and improves inking performance.
- Improves Thunderbolt AMD eGPU support.
- Improves touchscreen stability.
Below are the details about each component that's been updated:
|Windows Update History||Device Manager|
|Surface - Firmware - 220.127.116.11||Surface Retimer - Firmware|
|Surface - Firmware - 18.104.22.168||Surface UEFI - Firmware|
|Surface - Firmware - 22.214.171.124||Surface UEFI - Firmware|
|Surface - Firmware - 126.96.36.199||Surface System Aggregator - Firmware|
|Surface - Firmware - 188.8.131.52||Surface SMF - Firmware|
|Surface - Firmware - 184.108.40.206||Surface SMF - Firmware|
|Surface - Ext - 220.127.116.11||Surface - Ext - Surface Type Cover v7 Firmware Update|
|Surface - USB - 18.104.22.168||Surface Type Cover V7 Fingerprint UDE Controller - Universal Serial Bus controllers|
|Surface - Ext - 22.214.171.124||Surface Touch Pen Processor - Extension|
|Surface - System - 126.96.36.199||Surface Integration - System devices|
|Surface - Ext - 1.949.137.0||Surface G6 Touch Firmware Update - Extension|
|Intel - Display - 188.8.131.5224||Intel Iris Xe Graphics - Extension|
|Intel - Ext - 184.108.40.20624||Intel Iris Xe Graphics - Display adapters|
Surface firmware updates roll out in stages, so you may not see this one yet on your device.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at email@example.com.