Jensen Harris is the Director of Program Management for the Windows User Experience team. Basically he’s in charge of the look and feel of an operating system you’re quite intimate with. Microsoft has just posted a video on YouTube where Jensen details some highlights of what to expect when Windows 8.1 arrives. Video after the break.
At work and can't access YouTube? Here's a list of the major changes in Windows 8.1. Exciting times ahead! He doesn't discuss it, but you'll notice the Start button is back on the desktop.
- Lockscreen is a cloud-powered photo frame. Brings pictures from your PC and phone through SkyDrive.
- New tiles sizes: Large and small.
- Improved all apps screen. Swipe up from the Start screen to get all apps.
- All apps can be sorted by most used, by name, by date installed, or category.
- Press and hold to pin to Start
- Press and hold like Windows Phone to manage apps on your Start screen
- New personalization that can quickly be accessed by from the Settings charm
- New colors for background and accent colors.
- New motion accents for the background. Hard to explain, by attention during the 1:53 mark.
- Desktop backgrounds can now be used on Start.
- New search feature powered by Bing that curates searches from both the web and PC.
- Better multi-tasking
- Up to four Windows 8 apps on one screen each with adjustable sizes for Snap mode
Holy bullet list Batman! Jensen gave a quick look at some of the major new Windows 8.1 changes that are coming. We’ll obviously be learning more over the coming month, but it’s nice to get a sneak preview of how the best operating system for tablets, laptops and desktops is getting even better. The update will come later this year (probably around the Holidays) and be a free for Windows 8 customers.
Thanks for the tip Edwin R!
Update 4: Trump gives blessing to TikTok sale to Microsoft
TikTok may soon be owned by Microsoft. The company is reportedly in talks to buy out the U.S. portion of TikTok amid a rumored Trump administration order for TikTok owner Bytedance to divest. On Monday, President Trump says he does not oppose the sale so long as it is done by September 15.
Microsoft Edge is about to let you use Chrome themes from the web store
Microsoft Edge being built on Chromium has its advantages, mainly in that you an take advantage of Chrome's vast library of extensions. In the latest example of this, Microsoft has started allowing Edge users in the Dev channel install themes from the Chrome web store.
Need a new laptop to run VR? Here are the best devices out there now.
Using a laptop to power your VR system makes it easy to take it with you wherever you go. Not just any laptop is going to work for VR, though, so we rounded up your best options right here.
Razer Blade 15 too pricey? Check out these 9 alternatives.
The Razer Blade 15 is an excellent gaming laptop, but if you don't want to choose it, there are plenty of excellent alternative options, too. Here are the ones we recommend.