Windows 10 20H1 build 18898 rolls out to Fast ring Insiders
Fire up Windows Update; it's time to check out another Windows 10 20H1 Insider build on the Fast ring.
What you need to know
- Windows 10 20H1 build 18898 is now available for Fast ring Insiders.
- The build adds a feature to show disk types in the Task Manager Performance tab.
- The usual mish-mash of bug fixes and known issues are tagging along here as well.
Microsoft pushed out another new Windows 10 20H1 preview build for Fast ring Insiders today. Pushing the build number up to 18898, the latest release includes the ability to view disk types in the Task Manager Performance tab. There are also a handful of bug fixes in this build, along with a smttering of known issues.
- Disk type now visible in Task Manager Performance tab: A small, but perhaps convenient change — you'll now be able to see the disk type (e.g. SSD) for each disk listed in Task Manager's performance tab. This is particularly helpful in cases where you have multiple disks listed, so you can differentiate between them.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue resulting in a high hitting DWM crash in recent builds.
- We fixed a pcshell.dll issue in recent builds resulting in a high hitting explorer.exe crash.
- We fixed an issue where updated Japanese IME settings would be never applied in certain desktop bridge apps, which could result in prediction candidates being shown even after they'd been disabled in the IME settings. For those who've already been impacted by this, you'll need to reset the app Settings > Apps >
- There has been an issue with older versions of anti-cheat software used with games where after updating to the latest 19H1 Insider Preview builds may cause PCs to experience crashes. We are working with partners on getting their software updated with a fix, and most games have released patches to prevent PCs from experiencing this issue. To minimize the chance of running into this issue, please make sure you are running the latest version of your games before attempting to update the operating system. We are also working with anti-cheat and game developers to resolve similar issues that may arise with the 20H1 Insider Preview builds and will work to minimize the likelihood of these issues in the future.
- Some Realtek SD card readers are not functioning properly. We are investigating the issue.
- If you use remote desktop to connect to an enhanced session VM, taskbar search results will not be visible (just a dark area) until you restart searchui.exe.
- We're investigating reports that on certain devices, if fast startup is enabled, night light doesn't turn on until after a restart. (Note: The problem will occur on a "cold" reboot or power off / power on. To work around if night light doesn't turn on, use Start > Power > Restart.)
- There's a noticeable lag when dragging the emoji and dictation panels.
- Tamper Protection may be turned off in Windows Security after updating to this build. You can turn it back on.
- Some features on Start Menu and in All apps are not localized in languages such as FR-FR, RU-RU, and ZH-CN.
- In the Ease of Access settings, selecting a color filter may not take effect right away unless color filters option is turned off and back on again.
- The IME candidate window for East Asian IMEs (Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and the Japanese IME) may not open sometimes. We are investigating the issue. In the meantime, going to Task Manager and ending the "WindowsInternal.ComposableShell.Experiences.TextInput.InputApp.exe" task from the from the Details tab should unblock you if you experience this issue.
- We are aware of an issue with the Bopomofo IME where the character width is suddenly changed to Full width from Half width and are investigating.
- If you install builds from the Fast ring and switch to either the Slow ring or the Release Preview ring, optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.
As usual, you can find the full details at the Windows Blog. Otherwise, Fast ring Insiders can grab build 18898 via Windows Update now.
Cheap PC accessories we love
Take a gander at these awesome PC accessories, all of which will enhance your Windows experience.
Anker 4 port USB 3.0 hub (opens in new tab) ($10 at Amazon)
Whether on a desktop or laptop PC, you always need more ports to connect things to. This hub gives you an additional four USB 3.0 Type A ports.
Ikea Fixa Cable Management System (opens in new tab) ($11 at Amazon)
This IKEA cable management kit is your ticket to a clean setup. It's simple and functional.
NZXT Puck (opens in new tab) ($20 at Amazon)
This clever little accessory has powerful magnets on the rear to make it stick to any of the metal panels on your PC case or anything else. It's great for hanging accessories like headsets.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the former Editor-in-Chief of Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl.
I seriously hope 20H1 will be more than just these tiny changes. MS needs to go back to making ambitious modifications like in previous builds. And please, can you finally modernize File Explorer with Fluent Design, MS?
Yeah definitely, windows 7 is still better looking OS than windows 10. I like windows 10 and where it goes but can't look at all those inconsitencies, mixing old elements with the new ones and their UWP apps which looks like were designed by all different teams... They need to focus eventually on the UI and overall experience, than adding more and more features just for a handfull of entusiast and proferssionals, like linux integrerations, or built in sandbox...
I am just waiting on Vmware workstation to work again and I will be good. Keep the updates coming :)