What you need to know
- A new Windows 10 preview build is rolling out to Fast ring Insiders.
- This release pushes the build number to 19613.
- Coming alongside this build is an update to the languages supported by the Cortana app.
Updated April 27, 2020: Microsoft released a small cumulative update for build 19613, pushing it to build 19613.1005. There are no major changes, as the build is meant to help Microsoft test its servicing pipeline. The original story, published on April 22, follows.
Microsoft shipped another new Windows 10 preview build for Fast ring Insiders today. This release brings the build number up to 19613, and it's largely made up of bug fixes. However, Microsoft also began rolling out an update tp the Cortana app that brings support for new languages with Bing answers and Assistant conversations.
Here's a rundown of everything that's new and fixed in Windows 10 Fast ring build 19613:
Cortana app update: We're starting to roll out a Cortana app update for Insiders in the Fast ring that will turn on Bing Answers and Assistant Conversations for the following regions and languages:
- Australia: English
- Brazil: Portuguese
- Canada: English/French
- France: French
- Germany: German
- India: English
- Italy: Italian
- Japan: Japanese
- Mexico: Spanish
- Spain: Spanish
- United Kingdom: English
Look for version 2.2004.1706.0 to know you've received the update. This is a staggered rollout, so you may not see it right away.
- We fixed an issue that was causing app icons in the taskbar to not display correctly, including defaulting to the .exe icon. This issue may have also caused some Insiders to have more reliability issues with explorer.exe.
- We fixed an issue impacting Windows Forms applications where the ImmSetOpenStatus() API wasn't changing the IME mode correctly when setting focus to text fields while using the new Japanese or Chinese IMEs.
- We fixed an issue from recent builds for Insiders with multiple monitors, resulting in Visual Studio sometimes not responding to clicks.
- We fixed an issue where the doskey / listsize command had no effect.
- We fixed an issue where the doskey /reinstall command killed the commandline session rather than reloading doskey.
- We fixed an issue that could result in Settings crashing when uninstalling a font.
- We fixed an issue impacting some users that could result in Task Manager always showing 0 seconds for Last BIOS Time.
- We've made some improvements to address an underlying issue that could result in a black screen for some users for a while after logging in. If you continue seeing this issue, please try pressing WIN+Shift+Ctrl+B and then log feedback in the Feedback Hub.
- We're aware Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected. NVAccess has released a NVDA 2019.3 that resolves the known issue with Edge.
- We're looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- We're investigating reports that the battery icon on the lock screen always shows close to empty, regardless of actual battery levels.
- We're investigating reports of IIS configuration being set to default after taking a new build. You will need to back up your IIS configuration and restore it after the new build is installed successfully.
- Quickly switching between WSL distros using the File Explorer integration could cause a transient access error. We've identified the cause of this issue and are releasing a fix soon.
- We're investigating reports that some Insiders are experiencing unexpected freezes and bugchecks with error DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION in the last few builds.
If you're enrolled in the Fast ring, you can pick up build 19613 from Windows Update now. For more on this release, check out Microsoft's full blog post.
PS5 games prices are higher than Xbox — but is that a good thing?
Sony's PlayStation 5 reveal came with some big caveats, and one of the most overlooked ones is the fact that games will be more expensive, seemingly across the board. Should Microsoft and Xbox jump on that train as well?
Review: Gigabyte's Z490 AORUS ULTRA is a gorgeous Intel motherboard
Gigabyte's Z490 AORUS ULTRA is a motherboard you should consider for a 10th or 11th Gen Intel-powered PC. On paper, it has plenty going for it, including amazing power design and cooling, passively cooled M.2 slots and good overclocking support.
You can get the Windows 10 October 2020 update early – here's how
In this guide, we'll show you the steps to upgrade your computer to the final release of the Windows 10 October 2020 Update before it's officially available to everyone.
The NFL is back! Check out these must-have Windows apps for football fans
After months of waiting through a unique offseason and no preseason games, the NFL is finally back this week. With these Windows 10 apps, you won't miss a snap of the NFL action.