Yesterday saw this same build go out those on the Insider program, but today's release is a general one for what looks like all new phones sold with Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.
As confirmed in our forums, users are getting the update even though they are not enrolled in the Insider program marking this as the first test of Microsoft's Windows as a Service (WaaS) model.
Matching this update for Mobile is today's cumulative update for the desktop. That OS refresh also brings those PCs up to 10586.29 making this one of the first times both PC and phone get the same update on the same day.
Today's update is even more significant as AT&T is evidently letting this update go to their Lumia 950 with no interference.
This result lends credence to the idea that Microsoft specifically chose carriers that would let them have unfettered update abilities to their new Lumias for customers. Perhaps Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile would not allow such access that only rivals Apple.
What's new in build 10586.29
- You will see additional improvements in upgrade experience, including devices with limited free space, map rendering on update, and RCS enabled device settings.
- Improved application backwards compatibility for Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight applications.
- Edge performance and stability has been improved. Auto-completion has been updated to allow user to more easily edit the end of the URL in the address bar.
- Additional Bluetooth stability improvements.
- We have resolve issues on switching the active cellular connectivity profile on Dual SIM devices.
If you do not see the update just yet give it some time as this make take a few hours to hit all servers worldwide.
Source: Windows Central Forums; Thanks, everyone, for the tips!
- Microsoft Lumia 950 main page
- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL main page
- Microsoft Lumia 950 forums at Windows Central
- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL forums at Windows Central
Minecraft Dungeons lead talks its next DLC and the future endgame
We talk Minecraft Dungeons’ recent Jungle Awakens DLC, the Creeping Winter expansion, and future endgame plans with game director, Måns Olson.
Fix up your Xbox Elite Controller with these parts
Need some replacement parts for your Xbox One Elite Controller? From new paddles, grips, bumpers, thumbsticks, and more, we have you covered.
Hands-on with Windows 10 build 20161 showcasing the new Start menu
Yesterday, Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 that includes an updated Start menu design with translucent Live Tiles, improvements to Notifications, and behavior changes to things like Tablet Mode and the Taskbar. It's been a while since Microsoft released a build with any surface-level changes, but now it's finally happened, we're back showcasing all the changes on video.
The best aftermarket CPU coolers for AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
In order to get the most out of the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X processor, you'll need to keep it cool enough for it to work as hard as it's able. This is where a good CPU cooler comes into play and we've rounded up some of our favorites.