Yesterday saw this same build go out those on the Insider program, but today's release is a general one for what looks like all new phones sold with Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.
As confirmed in our forums, users are getting the update even though they are not enrolled in the Insider program marking this as the first test of Microsoft's Windows as a Service (WaaS) model.
Matching this update for Mobile is today's cumulative update for the desktop. That OS refresh also brings those PCs up to 10586.29 making this one of the first times both PC and phone get the same update on the same day.
Today's update is even more significant as AT&T is evidently letting this update go to their Lumia 950 with no interference.
This result lends credence to the idea that Microsoft specifically chose carriers that would let them have unfettered update abilities to their new Lumias for customers. Perhaps Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile would not allow such access that only rivals Apple.
What's new in build 10586.29
- You will see additional improvements in upgrade experience, including devices with limited free space, map rendering on update, and RCS enabled device settings.
- Improved application backwards compatibility for Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight applications.
- Edge performance and stability has been improved. Auto-completion has been updated to allow user to more easily edit the end of the URL in the address bar.
- Additional Bluetooth stability improvements.
- We have resolve issues on switching the active cellular connectivity profile on Dual SIM devices.
If you do not see the update just yet give it some time as this make take a few hours to hit all servers worldwide.
Source: Windows Central Forums; Thanks, everyone, for the tips!
- Microsoft Lumia 950 main page
- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL main page
- Microsoft Lumia 950 forums at Windows Central
- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL forums at Windows Central
The premium Lenovo Yoga C940 14 takes on the Yoga C740 14. Which one wins?
These two laptops come from the same family, but they're quite different with a price to reflect the premium offerings on the Yoga C940. Which one is right for you? We compare the two to help you decide.
Skype is great for Windows 10 users, even if people don't use it
Skype has apps everywhere, tons of features, and hundreds of millions of people have Skype accounts, but it's not known as a messaging app. Here's why Skype is the best communication app for users on Windows 10.
Master email with one of these awesome apps for Windows 10
Looking for a bit of variety in your email game? Need something powerful to handle the mail you send and receive? These are the best email apps for Windows 10.
Set up a Surface Pro workstation with one of these external monitors
The Surface Pro is great on its own, but that doesn't mean you can't add one or two external monitors to it and create a sweet battlestation. Here are the best overall picks available now.