Insiders aren't the only ones in for an update today: Microsoft has also started rolling out its monthly Patch Tuesday updates for March. As with previous Patch Tuesday releases, today's patches include a number of bug fixes and security updates for Windows 10. For those on the Fall Creators Update, the March Patch Tuesday update is rolling out as KB4088776 and shifts the build number up to 16299.309. Here's a look at what's new:
- Addresses issue where Internet Explorer stops working when using F12-based developer tools.
- Addresses issue with printing XML documents with Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Updates legacy Document Mode cell visibility in Internet Explorer.
- Addresses issue with pinch and zoom gestures on some hardware in Internet Explorer.
- Addresses issue where Internet Explorer is unresponsive in certain scenarios when a Browser Helper Object is installed.
- Addresses issue to prevent media and other applications from becoming unresponsive or failing when upgrading graphics drivers.
- Addresses issue where customers receive "Check your account, you don't own this content" errors when attempting to play or install owned content. This issue can also result in customers getting kicked out of a game in the middle of play.
- Addresses issue where, after installing KB4056892,KB4073291, KB4058258, KB4077675, or KB4074588 on a server, you may not be able to access SMB shared files in directory junction points or volume mount points hosted on that server. The error is "ERROR_INVALID_REPARSE_DATA". As a result, editing some group policies using GPMC or AGPM 4.0 may fail with the error "The data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80071128)".
- Addresses issue where an AD FS server issue causes the WID AD FS database to become unusable after a restart. This might prevent the AD FS service from starting.
- Addresses issue where, after installing KB4090913, the Mixed Reality Portal may fail to initialize. This results in an "SXXXXXXX-X" error or a "We couldn't download the Windows Mixed Reality Software" message may appear after the software is successfully downloaded.
- Lifts the Anti-Virus (AV) compatibility check to expand the number of Windows 10 devices that are offered cumulative Windows security updates. This includes cumulative Spectre and Meltdown protections for 32-Bit (x86) and 64-Bit (x64) versions of Windows, except the KB4078130 update that was offered to disable mitigation against Spectre Variant 2.
- Addresses issue that only affects some versions of antivirus software and only applies to computers on which the antivirus ISV updated the ALLOW REGKEY.
- Security updates to Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Desktop Bridge, Windows Kernel, Windows Shell, Windows MSXML, Device Guard, Windows Hyper-V, Windows Installer, and the Microsoft Scripting Engine.
Patch Tuesday updates are also rolling out for other supported versions of Windows, including Windows 7, Windows 8, and older Windows 10 releases. For more, you can check out the release notes for each version at Microsoft's support site. Otherwise, the patches should be available via Windows Update now.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
'Mercury' is the code name of a large Xbox Store update, coming soon
You may have seen images of an app called "Mercury" floating around in Xbox communities. Here's what it is, and what we know so far.
Minecraft Dungeons: 10 things that we'd love to see improved
Minecraft Dungeons is a great game, but as we max out the game and hit full completion, there are a few things we think could easily be improved. Here are ten of them.
How Microsoft Teams changed my football team during the pandemic
The global health crisis caused my football team's practices and season to be canceled. To continue coaching, we switched to virtual classroom sessions using Microsoft Teams.
Best Windows 10 Wallpaper Apps and Websites in 2020
You stare at your desktop wallpaper all day, so why leave it boring or as the Windows 10 default wallpaper? These websites and apps will help you keep your desktop fresh and beautiful.