If you're a Windows Insider who has opted into the Skip Ahead ring, a new preview build is now available to check out. The latest Redstone 5 build kicks the build number up to 17655 and brings with it a makeover for LTE connectivity in Windows, along with a number of general fixes.
Mobile Broadband (LTE) connectivity on Windows gets a makeover
Windows is transforming the networking stack after 20 years through the Net Adapter framework. This framework introduces a new, more reliable, network driver model that inherits the goodness of the Windows driver framework while bringing an accelerated data path.
In this build, we are introducing a new and improved Mobile Broadband (MBB) USB class driver based on this Net Adapter framework. We can't wait for you to try out our new driver in the latest RS5 Insider Preview builds.
If your PC supports Mobile Broadband, i.e., your PC relies on cellular network for connectivity, and you want to help out? Here is what you need to do:
Step 1: Ensure your PC can support SIM cards and USB modems (either over the internal USB bus or using a USB dongle for cellular connectivity).
Step 2: Install this build (Build 17655 and higher) and setup cellular connectivity.
Step 3: Choose the Net Adapter based MBB USB class driver as default driver.
Navigate to Device Manager. (You can right-click on the Start button to get there.)Go to Network Adapters -> Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter or xxxxx Mobile Broadband Adapter
- Right-click and choose update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Choose Generic Mobile Broadband Cx Net Adapter -> Click Next.
- Once installed reboot for the new driver to take effect.
- Ensure the status of the connection remains "Connected".
General changes, improvements, and fixes
- In this build, the brightness toggle from the Battery flyout in the Notification Area on the taskbar has been removed for an improved user experience.
- We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge where dragging a favorite from one folder in the favorites bar to another didn't work.
- We're investigating an issue where the mouse cursor may disappear when hovering over certain UI elements and text fields.
- On resuming from sleep, the desktop may be momentarily visible before the Lock screen displays as expected.
- When Movies & TV user denies access to its videos library (through the "Let Movies & TV access your videos library?" popup window or through Windows privacy settings), Movies & TV crashes when the user navigates to the "Personal" tab.
- We're aware of an issue that causes Narrator to read extra text when invoking Alt + Tab, and we're working on a fix.
- Using arrow and Page Up / Page Down keys doesn't work to scroll webpages in Microsoft Edge. You'll need to use another input method (mouse, touch, or touchpad).
- If you complete the setup for a Windows Mixed Reality headset on this build, the headset will remain black until it is unplugged and reconnected to the PC.
Known issues for Sets & Office
- Sets UX for Office Win32 desktop apps is not final. The experience will be refined over time based on feedback.
- The top of some Win32 desktop app windows may appear slightly underneath the tab bar when created maximized. To work around the issue, restore and re-maximize the window.
- Closing one tab may sometimes minimize the entire set.
- Tiling and cascading windows, including features like "View Side by Side" in Word, will not work for inactive tabs.
- The Office Visual Basic Editor window will currently be tabbed but is not intended to be in the future.
- Opening an Office document while the same app has an existing document open may cause an unintended switch to the last active document. This will also happen when closing a sheet in Excel while other sheets remain open.
- Right-clicking a tab in Sets will not bring up a context menu in this build.
- Local files or non-Microsoft cloud files will not be automatically restored, and no error message will be provided to alert the user to that fact.
In terms of recent Redstone 5 builds, this one is fairly small in the way of new features. However, with Build 2018 just around the corner, we should learn much more about what Microsoft has planned for the update, which should land later in 2018.
If you're on the Skip Ahead ring, you can grab build 17655 now via Windows Update. Otherwise, check out Microsoft's full release notes for more.
Best Microsoft Surface Cyber Monday Deals: Surface Pro 7 down to $600
Microsoft's Surface lineup has grown by leaps and bounds over the years. Whether you're looking for the newest Surface Pro X or Pro 7 or are willing to settle for a previous generation at an even more discounted price, we've got all the best deals you're going to find around the 'net right here.
These are the best deals on Xbox consoles you'll find this month
If you're in the market for a new Xbox One console, you'll want to check these deals out first.
Need a new laptop to run VR? Here are the best devices out there now.
Using a laptop to power your VR system makes it easy to take it with you wherever you go. Not just any laptop is going to work for VR, though, so we rounded up your best options right here.
These are the best PC sticks for when you're on the move
Instant computer, just add a screen! That’s the general idea of the ultra-portable PC Compute Sticks, but it can be hard to know which one you want. Relax, we’ve got you covered.