If you're a Windows Insider who has opted into the Skip Ahead ring, a new preview build is now available to check out. The latest Redstone 5 build kicks the build number up to 17655 and brings with it a makeover for LTE connectivity in Windows, along with a number of general fixes.
Mobile Broadband (LTE) connectivity on Windows gets a makeover
Windows is transforming the networking stack after 20 years through the Net Adapter framework. This framework introduces a new, more reliable, network driver model that inherits the goodness of the Windows driver framework while bringing an accelerated data path.
In this build, we are introducing a new and improved Mobile Broadband (MBB) USB class driver based on this Net Adapter framework. We can't wait for you to try out our new driver in the latest RS5 Insider Preview builds.
If your PC supports Mobile Broadband, i.e., your PC relies on cellular network for connectivity, and you want to help out? Here is what you need to do:
Step 1: Ensure your PC can support SIM cards and USB modems (either over the internal USB bus or using a USB dongle for cellular connectivity).
Step 2: Install this build (Build 17655 and higher) and setup cellular connectivity.
Step 3: Choose the Net Adapter based MBB USB class driver as default driver.
Navigate to Device Manager. (You can right-click on the Start button to get there.)Go to Network Adapters -> Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter or xxxxx Mobile Broadband Adapter
- Right-click and choose update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Choose Generic Mobile Broadband Cx Net Adapter -> Click Next.
- Once installed reboot for the new driver to take effect.
- Ensure the status of the connection remains "Connected".
General changes, improvements, and fixes
- In this build, the brightness toggle from the Battery flyout in the Notification Area on the taskbar has been removed for an improved user experience.
- We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge where dragging a favorite from one folder in the favorites bar to another didn't work.
- We're investigating an issue where the mouse cursor may disappear when hovering over certain UI elements and text fields.
- On resuming from sleep, the desktop may be momentarily visible before the Lock screen displays as expected.
- When Movies & TV user denies access to its videos library (through the "Let Movies & TV access your videos library?" popup window or through Windows privacy settings), Movies & TV crashes when the user navigates to the "Personal" tab.
- We're aware of an issue that causes Narrator to read extra text when invoking Alt + Tab, and we're working on a fix.
- Using arrow and Page Up / Page Down keys doesn't work to scroll webpages in Microsoft Edge. You'll need to use another input method (mouse, touch, or touchpad).
- If you complete the setup for a Windows Mixed Reality headset on this build, the headset will remain black until it is unplugged and reconnected to the PC.
Known issues for Sets & Office
- Sets UX for Office Win32 desktop apps is not final. The experience will be refined over time based on feedback.
- The top of some Win32 desktop app windows may appear slightly underneath the tab bar when created maximized. To work around the issue, restore and re-maximize the window.
- Closing one tab may sometimes minimize the entire set.
- Tiling and cascading windows, including features like "View Side by Side" in Word, will not work for inactive tabs.
- The Office Visual Basic Editor window will currently be tabbed but is not intended to be in the future.
- Opening an Office document while the same app has an existing document open may cause an unintended switch to the last active document. This will also happen when closing a sheet in Excel while other sheets remain open.
- Right-clicking a tab in Sets will not bring up a context menu in this build.
- Local files or non-Microsoft cloud files will not be automatically restored, and no error message will be provided to alert the user to that fact.
In terms of recent Redstone 5 builds, this one is fairly small in the way of new features. However, with Build 2018 just around the corner, we should learn much more about what Microsoft has planned for the update, which should land later in 2018.
If you're on the Skip Ahead ring, you can grab build 17655 now via Windows Update. Otherwise, check out Microsoft's full release notes for more.
Benchmarking the new Surface Book 3 15 with GTX 1660 Ti and 10th Gen i7
Although it's too early for a review, here are some initial benchmarks from the new Surface Book 3 15-inch with a Core i7 and NVIDIA GeForce 1660 Ti (Max-Q) and how it compares to Surface Book 2 and other premium laptops. Spoiler: While the CPU is just OK, that 1660 Ti definitely bumps up the Book 3's potential.
Minecraft Dungeons Ultimate Guide: Everything you need to know
Minecraft Dungeons is here, and it's time to run through everything you need to know about the game.
Developers weigh in on Microsoft's all-digital Build 2020 conference
Microsoft had to hold Build 2020 as an all-digital event. Developers from around the web shared their thoughts on Microsoft's all-digital conference and the biggest announcements from the event.
Best Windows 10 Wallpaper Apps and Websites in 2020
You stare at your desktop wallpaper all day, so why leave it boring or as the Windows 10 default wallpaper? These websites and apps will help you keep your desktop fresh and beautiful.