What you need to know
- Windows Holographic 22H1 is now available for HoloLens 2 headsets.
- It includes a colorblind mode, new settings, Power and Thermal SDK for apps, and more.
Despite all the drama surrounding Microsoft's line of HoloLens products in recent memory, those who own the expensive headset can still look forward to new OS updates for the time being. Windows Holographic just got bumped up to version 22H1, which you can grab right now.
As for what new treats you can expect in 22H1, here's the scoop:
- Color-blind mode: Applies filters that adjust the displayed colors for Color-blind users. (End users)
- Single app kiosk policy for launching other apps: Allows for app launch of secondary app. (IT Admins)
- Power and Thermal SDK for apps: Allows apps to adapt to reduce the thermal impact. (Developers)
As you can see, there's a little something for everybody there. And you'll get February's updates along with 22H1, which include Moving Platform Mode (MPM) being toggle-able via Settings, the MPM SDK, and customizable Start gesture settings. You can see the full list of additions in Microsoft's patch notes, but those are the big items.
On a micro level, enjoy the HoloLens update. But be sure to read up on recent HoloLens developments as well for the macro perspective. Though Microsoft circulated positive HoloLens 2 news around the same time, there were recent reports of HoloLens 3 having been canceled.
Furthermore, it's said that Microsoft's deal with the U.S. Army for military-attuned HoloLens variants isn't panning out as well as either party would hope. And to top off all of that, it seems Microsoft is losing some of its experts to rival companies, including Meta, home of the metaverse.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Robert Carnevale is the News Editor for Windows Central. He's a big fan of Kinect (it lives on in his heart), Sonic the Hedgehog, and the legendary intersection of those two titans, Sonic Free Riders. He is the author of Cold War 2395. Have a useful tip? Send it to email@example.com.