What you need to know
- Xbox usually releases a new update every month to further improve the Xbox experience with new changes and features.
- Today, the Xbox May Update is now rolling out with some heavily requested improvements to Quick Resume on Xbox Series X|S.
- You can now see what games are in Quick Resume, add a dedicated group to your homepage, individually remove games, and more.
- There's also a new audio passthrough feature for media apps and a new dynamic background for Xbox Series X|S.
Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S may share an operating system with Xbox One consoles, but Microsoft continues to improve their next-gen consoles even further with new features and improvements every month. The Xbox April Update is being followed today by the, you guessed it, Xbox May Update. Today's Xbox update is rolling out with a handful of changes that the Xbox community has been requesting for months now. You can look for the update as it becomes available to all Xbox owners throughout the day.
The highlights of the Xbox May Update include:
- Quick Resume is better. With today's update, Quick Resume should be more reliable and have improved loading speeds.
- New Quick Resume tag. A brand-new tag is being added today that will let you know if a game supports the Xbox Quick Resume feature, similar to FPS Boost and Auto HDR tags.
- Quick Resume group. A new group will let players see all the games that are currently being stored in Quick Resume. You can add this group to Home for quicker access, and open games straight from the Quick Resume group.
- Remove games from Quick Resume. Using the new Quick Resume group, players can finally individually remove games from Quick Resume. This will be useful for potentially problematic games like live service games that want a constant internet connection.
- Audio passthrough for media apps. Players with high-end or custom external audio setups can now bypass the Xbox audio chip in favor of their own in-house option using the new audio passthrough option.
- Game trailers in Xbox Game Pass. Games available through Xbox Game Pass will now display trailers when focused on in the Xbox Game Pass hub. This will make it even easier to discover some of the best games on Xbox Game Pass.
- New dynamic background. "Motes" is a new dynamic background being added to Xbox Series X|S. It's a great-looking background that will change to match your accent color.
- Per-title multiplayer permissions. Parents can now give permission to their children to play multiplayer games per title using Xbox parental controls and the Xbox Family Settings app.
- Improvements to the Xbox mobile app. Xbox is updating the Xbox mobile app on Android and iOS throughout this month with even more improvements, like game stats on Achievement pages and better reliability for messaging.
It's not a new feature by any means, but one thing that's also noteworthy from today's Xbox May Update is that the Xbox One SmartGlass app for Windows 10 is being sunsetted. That means it will no longer be available to download through the Microsoft Store and will no longer receive updates. If you already have it installed, you will be able to continue using it.
With all the new features for Xbox's impressive Quick Resume, it'll be even easier to jump between all the best Xbox games.
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.