SmartGlass, introduced at E3 in 2012, has slowly ramped up as a ‘second-screen’ service, allowing those with smartphones and tablets to augment what is seen on screen. The SmartGlass service is expected to get more robust with the power of Xbox One, and with this app available today, we should be ready for this Friday.
Here’s what you get with the new SmartGlass app for Windows Phone 8 devices:
- In the living room:
- Navigate your Xbox One console using your device’s keyboard and touch
- Control your media and set top box with the SmartGlass remote control
- Browse the web on your TV using your mobile device
- Enhance what you are watching or playing with SmartGlass companions
- Increase performance with faster connections and reliability
In the living room and on the go:
- Search, browse, and pin content to play on your Xbox One console
- Track achievements, get game help, message friends, and watch game DVR clips
So far, nothing seems radically different from the Xbox 360 version, but here’s hoping to improved performance with new high end Windows Phone 8 devices and the Xbox One system. Presumably a version for Windows 8.1 will also be made available soon for your Surface.
You can download Xbox One SmartGlass app now for Windows Phone 8 here in the Store. It won’t be of much use today, but come Friday (or whenever you get a One) you should be all set. Thanks, Adrian E., Joe S., and others for the tips!