Microsoft has announced a number of new and upcoming security features that will be added to products like Windows 10, Office 365 and more in the coming months. The company revealed these plans as part of its Ignite IT conference today in Atlanta:
Here's what Microsoft customers, particularly in business and IT, can expect to see in terms of security for the company's products:
- Windows Defender Application Guard, coming next year to Windows 10 Enterprise customers and soon to Windows Insiders, makes Microsoft Edge the most secure browser for the enterprise. It is powered by virtualization-based security technology and uses isolated containers built directly into the hardware to prevent malicious code from moving across employee devices and the corporate network.
- Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (WDATP) and Office 365 ATP now share intelligence mutually across both services, helping IT pros to investigate and respond to security threats across Windows 10 and Office 365 more quickly and efficiently.
- Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection will be extended to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business. Other enhancements include dynamic delivery, which enables users to receive email immediately with a placeholder attachment while the actual attachment undergoes scanning, and URL detonation, which analyzes links in real time to identify unknown malicious URLs.
- Office 365 Threat Intelligence provides alerts and information on the origination of specific attacks, integrates with existing security incident event management (SIEM) systems, and enables customers to deploy dynamic policies based on the nature of the threat.
- Outlook for iOS and Android is now fully powered by the Microsoft Cloud for Office 365 commercial users, supporting Exchange Online mailboxes natively so that no mailbox data is cached outside Office 365.
- Enterprise Mobility + Security E5, a new offer that expands security to help the transition to mobility and cloud, will be available starting Oct. 1, 2016. The suite includes the new Microsoft Azure Information Protection service to help organizations classify, label and protect sensitive data.
- Also available Oct. 1, 2016, is the Secure Productive Enterprise, which offers the latest and most advanced security and productivity capabilities across Office 365, Windows 10 Enterprise and Enterprise Mobility + Security.
Stay tuned for more news from the Microsoft Ignite 2016 conference.