The studio revealed that the game would take players to Mercury, but aside from the basics, no details were provided. Luckily, that changed today as the developers hosted a livestream. The Curse of Osiris offers players mystery, adventure, new activities, gear, and destinations to explore. Many gamers might remember references to Osiris in the first game. However, this time around you can interact with the legendary Guardian and find out more about his life.
The expansion follows the Vex who have a mysterious plan. According to the developers, the story is set a few months after the main campaign. The reawakening of The Traveler sends out a wave of Light that spreads across the solar system. This activates a Vex gate where they're assembling an army. What happens next is up to you.
There are a lot of new features in the expansion as well. The update makes the game's social aspects larger. The most significant additions are as follows.
- Biggest Public Event — In the Curse of Osiris, players enter a Public Event, which displays life on Mercury and is supposedly the largest and most rewarding Public Event they've ever created. Gatekeepers will be the focal point and once killed, players will be able to pick up keys as a way of progressing through the public event. If you aren't playing with friends, Destiny 2 will introduce you to people to help you complete this activity.
- Lighthouse — The Lighthouse is a new social space where you can build weapons. The Forge is a Vex weapon wall which shows player progression, helping you build various weapons. This is one of the biggest changes in the game and hopefully it'll live up to expectations.
- Heroic Adventures — Players can challenge themselves with Heroic Adventures this time around. Modifiers are being added to them so you can tailor the gameplay depending on how skilled you are.
- Story Strikes — The main story features more Strikes which tell people further details about the campaign. Strikes have always seemed a bit disjointed so they'll be more integrated into the plot in Curse of Osiris.
- Infinite Forest — The Infinite Forest is a new region which lets players go back in time and into the future. They're Vex simulations which allow you to experience different versions of Mercury. Up and Up is one of the Adventures which takes you into a simulated future.
There's a lot of content in the first expansion so if you haven't played the game in a while, be sure to check it out next month. Destiny 2 is currently available on the Microsoft Store and other retailers for $59.99. The game will be enhanced for Xbox One X on December 5, 2017, when the Curse of Osiris expansion launches.
Keep an eye on WindowsCentral.com/Gaming for all the latest in Xbox and Windows 10 gaming, accessories, news, and reviews!
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Asher Madan handles gaming news for Windows Central. Before joining Windows Central in 2017, Asher worked for a number of different gaming outlets. He has a background in medical science and is passionate about all forms of entertainment, cooking, and antiquing.
"Everything looks different every time", except it all looks exactly like the first game :/ How do these guys make something as lovely as Destiny sound so terribly boring. Where was the progression system/reason for hammering away at Destiny? Fun (new) =Exotics, fun PvP. Fun Raids. Gear. This seems like a game designed by management. The soul has gone. A few new enemies would have been nice. Destiny 1.5. Needs a ton of work/rework, way more content, and a sale before I buy it.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.