The world of cloud storage is a hot one with a few companies vying for attention. While many use Microsoft's native OneDrive for online storage, there are just as many who use Dropbox, especially in the corporate environment. The ability for workers to use Dropbox anywhere, anytime is a top priority, which is why Microsoft and Dropbox are announcing support for Windows 10 with a new app.
Dropbox app for Windows 10 is now live in the Store for PC and tablets (mobile version is coming), and this app is no simple storage app. The list of features even surpasses Microsoft's own OneDrive in many ways, and it is fantastic to see such sincere collaboration.
Unique features of the Dropbox app for Windows 10 include:
- Drag and drop files into the Dropbox app from Windows File Explorer—and even between folders within the app—to easily move or copy them.
- Use Quick Search to find what you need faster. Just start typing a search term to see your results—no need to use the search icon.
- Set up interactive notifications to accept shared folder invitations without having to launch the Dropbox app.
- Enable Windows Hello to use your fingerprint, face, or iris to unlock the Dropbox app, for extra peace of mind.
- Add comments directly on your files, and bring others into the discussion with @mentions.
- Quickly access recent files using Jump List. All you have to do is right-click on the Dropbox app icon in your taskbar.
Some of those features like drag and drop and Windows Hello integration are very exciting to see in a third-party app and speaks to the level of detail when designing this app.
More information about the Microsoft and Dropbox partnership is revealed by Microsoft's Steve Guggenheimer at the Windows Blog.
Go and grab the new Dropbox app for Windows 10 and let us know what you think! [Note: Mobile version of the app has yet to be updated for Windows 10 Mobile and is doing the coming days]
Download Dropbox for Windows 10 Mobile and PC (opens in new tab)