Elden Ring is a truly incredible game, but it's also incredibly complex. Like any Souls game, many of its systems are embedded in the gameplay and lore itself, rather than being menu-level features. The same is true for one of its most important features, especially if, like me, you sometimes accidentally (or intentionally) blow up non-player characters (NPCs) during gameplay.
In Elden Ring, Dark Souls, and other FromSoftware games, you can pretty much attack any and every NPC in the game, save for specific areas where combat is prohibited. While out in the world, it's entirely possible that a misplaced attack could wind up cutting a friendly quest-giver in half, and that's exactly what you don't want in some cases.
Thankfully, there is a system in place to rectify such mistakes. And here's how it all works.
Reset hostile NPCs and atone in Elden Ring
In order to atone, you'll have first needed to kill Godrick the Grafted in Stormveil Castle in order to progress to the area where you can atone. Then, you can head to the Church of Vows, as shown here on the map.
Note: This will not help you if you have killed an NPC, sadly. There's no way to bring them back as far as we know.
There are a few ways to get there. You can follow the road from the south, up through the swamp just below the church on the map, or you can get there instantly from a teleporter inside a main legacy dungeon.
However, to use the portal, you need to do a few things first.
- Defeat the Red Wolf inside Raya Lucaria Academy, which is a main story dungeon in the Lake Liurnia region.
- Once you have defeated the Red Wolf, move into the next courtyard area.
- On the right side of the courtyard, there's a huge stairwell. You can jump across to it carefully using the bridge's struts, but be wary. There's a trap on the bridge.
- A rolling steel ball will spawn, and squish you if you're not careful. Run up on the right side of the stairwell, and dodge roll at the moment the ball would otherwise hit you.
- Note: While you're here, be sure to grab the item at the collapsed end of the bridge.
At the top of the rolling ball staircase, head right in the next room, and there will be a portal that will teleport you straight there.
In the Church of Vows, you'll find an awesome turtle bro who will explain how it all works. At the altar, you can use a Celestial Dew to repair your standing with any NPC you may have struck and turned hostile.
Where to find a Celestial Dew in Elden Ring
There are a few Celestial Dew items to be found in-game, but they're incredibly rare. If you need one quickly, you can grab one from outside the Raya Lucaria Academy.
- Head to the main gate on the north side of the academy.
- After using the rune or Site of Grace to teleport to the academy entrance, turn left.
Head past the run down a broken path.
- There will be wolves and a merchant.
- At the end is a Bloodhound Knight clinging to a wall. Kill him off.
There you'll find the Celestial Dew on a corpse just next to the gate.
Elden Ring is quite easily one of the best games on Xbox, and we're here to give you as much information as possible to help you on your journey in the Lands Between!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.