Elden Ring is a vast open world, easily the biggest game created by developer FromSoftware. As such, for players new to these types of games, it can be a tad overwhelming at the start, and you might get confused or turned around. If you're not paying attention, it's even possible to miss out on your horse, Torrent. Don't worry, we're here to help.
Elden Ring: How to get Torrent
Including horseback combat and exploration in Elden Ring's open-world design makes various aspects of the game more approachable than ever, but if this is your first FromSoftware game, you might be confused about how to grab your horse. We've laid the process out below:
- After creating your character, proceed through the tutorial until you reach the open world.
- Avoiding the Tree Sentinel (the knight riding near your resting point), you should head northwest until you reach the Church of Elleh.
- From the church, follow the golden trail on your map, heading northeast until you go through some woods and come upon an enemy camp.
- Either kill the soldiers in the camp or, better yet, avoid them as you make your way toward the nearby castle gate.
- There'll be a Site of Grace nearby for you to rest at.
- A conversation will start where you'll speak with Melina and be granted the Spectral Steed Whistle.
That's all there is to it! You can now summon Torrent, the horned Horse, by using this Spectral Steed Whistle. We recommend equipping it on your quick use items, under the Equipment menu tab, so you can easily access Torrent whenever needed.
Elden Ring: Tips for using Torrent
In case we somehow haven't made this clear yet, Elden Ring is big. It's really big. The map is huge, and with how much there is to do, with secrets and new areas around every corner, it's one of the best Xbox games available. Having Torrent isn't technically required, but it will make your playtime far, far more enjoyable as opposed to simply wandering everywhere on foot.
In particular, using horseback combat to fight dragons and get Dragon Hearts is an absolute necessity. Flying dragons have a wide arc of attack, especially when breathing fire, so the mobility offered by Torrent doesn't just completely change the game for you, it's borderline required.
Keep in mind however that Torrent isn't invincible. Your horse can take damage, especially falling damage, so you'll need to keep him healed up by feeding him raisins. These can be crafted by gathering the orange-red Rowa Fruits you'll see all over the map. You'll also have to unlock crafting by buying the necessary items from the merchant at the Church of Elleh.
Now that you've got your horse, take the game at your own pace. Don't feel pressured to go in a particular direction or grind out the mainline story immediately. The biggest benefit of having Torrent is the ability to roam at much greater speeds, so bask in that freedom! Who knows what secrets you'll find?
Be who you want
Elden Ring is a magnificent action RPG, introducing features like mounted combat and exploration to FromSoftware's formula.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.