Facebook Messenger is an instant messaging service from Facebook. It launched in August 2011 on Android and iOS. On Windows Phone, you could access Facebook Messenger from the official Facebook app for the platform. The standalone Facebook Messenger app for Windows Phone finally came out in March of 2014. It wasn't until April 2016 that Facebook Messenger for Windows 10 was released.
Facebook Messenger, sometimes called just FB Messenger or Messenger, works just like SMS and most other modern-day instant messaging services. Facebook Messenger works over your data plan, so it doesn't count against your SMS limit on your carrier. As long as you have a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection you can use the app to send messages to all your friends on Facebook.
Here's what you can do with Facebook Messenger on Windows Phone:
- Access messages without opening Facebook
- Send stickers and photos privately and directly to your friends
- Have group conversations
- Share your location so your friends can know when you're nearby
- Know when people have seen your messages
- Stay logged in and never miss a message
- Turn off notifications when you need a break
- Never lose your conversation history or contacts
Facebook Messenger is available as a free download in the Windows Phone Store. You just need an account on Facebook to use the application. It also works on Windows Phones with 512 MB of RAM.