Halo: MCC 20th Anniversary update to add Xbox-themed armor and more
Party like it's 1999.
What you need to know
- Halo: MCC is getting a special 20th Anniversary update that adds several cosmetics inspired by the franchise's history.
- Some of the new items that will be available include the armor Master Chief wore during Halo's 1999 reveal, Xbox-themed armor accessories, a Grunt Plush backpack, and more.
- The new items will be released over the course of November, December, and the beginning of January. All of them will be available with Season Points that can be earned by completing matches and finishing challenges.
Halo developer 343 Industries has announced that special 20th Anniversary update is coming soon to Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Halo: MCC) as part of the studio's celebration of 20 years of Halo. Unlike previous updates to the game that have added large quantities of content at once, the developers are adding several new cosmetics inspired by Halo's franchise history throughout the months of November, December, and the start of January in 2022. These items will be available in the in-game Exchange store for Season Points that can be earned by completing matches and finishing daily and weekly challenges.
Some of the cosmetics you'll be able to earn include an armor backpack called "The Beast" that looks like an original Xbox console, shoulder plates that look like Duke controllers, a special Orion armor set that looks identical to the armor seen in the original 1999 Halo reveal, a Grunt Plush backpack, several Xbox-themed weapon skins, and more. Check out the images below for a peek at the upcoming content:
343 Industries has also detailed exactly when each piece of new content will be available in the MCC. You can view the release schedule for everything below. Note that while these cosmetics will eventually leave the Exchange store, the developers have confirmed that they'll eventually rotate back in at later dates.
- November 3, 2021: "Orion" Armor Set (Helmet, Chest, Shoulders, Arms, Legs) for Halo 2: Anniversary
- November 10, 2021: The Beast Back Accessory and Duke Shoulders for Halo 3
- November 17, 2021: OG Xbox Assault Rifle Skin for Halo 3
- November 24, 2021: Semi-Powered Infiltration "Mirage" Armor (Helmet, Chest, Shoulders, Arms, Legs) for Halo 3
- December 1, 2021: OG Xbox Battle Rifle Skin and Rucksack Back Accessory for Halo 3
- December 8, 2021: Hydration Container Utility Item for Halo: Reach
- December 15, 2021: Fronkbox Back Accessory, Duke Shoulders, and OG Xbox Sniper Rifle skin for Halo 3
- December 22, 2021: Grunt Plush and X-Pack Back Accessories and the OG Xbox Magnum Skin for Halo 3
- December 29, 2021: OG Xbox Shotgun and SPNKr Skin for Halo 3
- January 5, 2022: The first return of the "Orion" armor set for Halo 2: Anniversary
Halo: MCC is definitely one of the best Xbox shooters available right now, so it's great to see the game get some additional content that celebrates Halo's incredible legacy. The game is available for $40 on both Xbox and PC, and if you're looking for something to play until Halo Infinite arrives, Halo: MCC won't disappoint.
Finish the Fight
Experience the entirety of Halo history
The Master Chief Collection is a collection of every Halo shooter from the pre-Xbox One era, offering incredible value at an incredible price.
A new journey awaits
The next big adventure
Halo Infinite will hopefully be an incredible game filled with wonder, adventure, and more. Based on the beta and what was seen at E3 2021, Gamescom, and the official campaign overview, we can't wait for the full release.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Brendan Lowry is a Windows Central writer and Oakland University graduate with a burning passion for video games, of which he's been an avid fan since childhood. You'll find him doing reviews, editorials, and general coverage on everything Xbox and PC. Follow him on Twitter.