The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare crossplay Beta is going on as we speak, and while the gameplay might make sense to veterans of the series, getting your friends together from across the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC is a little tougher. Lucky for you, we've created a guide to help you get sorted, and have you playing with your friends in no time. Better yet, add them now during the Beta and it's one less obstacle in your way before you squad up to kick butt on launch day.
Products used in this guide
Pre order now: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (opens in new tab) ($60 at Amazon)
Adding friends to your Activision account in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Install the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare beta.
- Take yourself to the multiplayer screen.
- In the top right corner of the screen is your Activision ID and rank. Below this is the social menu. Click on that.
- Now you can add people on your native platform or from your Activision account.
- Select either your Activision account or your native platform account and you can see who's online.
- Select Activision here and you can select a friend to add.
- Add your friend's Activision ID.
- A crucial fact here is that Activision IDs are a mix of a name and identifying number. So, while my display name is the regrettable Darkwingstalker, people also need the identifying number to add me successfully.
- You'll also be provided with a list of everyone you've recently played with, just in case you made a friend in game and want to turn a one-off connection into something special.
- Once they've accepted, go into the Social tab and you'll be able to invite your new friend to play.
Accepting Activision friend requests
- Give your friend your Activision ID and the accompanying number so that they can add you, perhaps using our handy guide above.
- You'll need to drop into the social menu in the top right of your screen.
- Haul yourself through the social menu into your Activision friends menu.
- Move into the Friend Requests tab.
- There's your friend request. Accept this, and you're good to go.
- Pull back to the social tab and your friend will be there, ready for you to invite them to play.
Happy fragging, be sure to let us know how you get on.
Make the old new again.
Infinity Ward has gone back to the beginning of the Modern Warfare series, but they aren't doing a remake. It's a reboot.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.