A guest star from the Mortal Kombat series, Sub-Zero is a ninja who freezes his enemies with ice attacks and even creates frozen clones of himself. Learn his moves and background details in this handy guide.
Sub-Zero is a cryomancer, a human with the ability to shape, control, and manipulate ice. In the past, the Lin-Kuei clan was ruled by an evil ninja also called Sub-Zero. That man having died, the current Sub-Zero took his place and vowed to redeem the clan's honor. Sub-Zero travels to the Injustice realm to help thwart the intergalactic threat of Brainiac.
This incarnation of Sub-Zero debuted in Mortal Kombat II. Sub-Zero is the first guest character to appear in Injustice 2. He previously made a non-playable cameo appearance in the first Injustice. Sub-Zero and other Mortal Kombat characters first interacted with DC heroes and villains in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. As a result, some Injustice 2 characters recognize him from the previous game.
Stats and special moves
- STR — 1700.
- ABL — 1600.
- DEF — 1500.
- HP — 1050.
Ice Burst – Down, back, light attack.
- Sub-Zero slams his fist into the ground, causing a cloud of ice to knock a nearby enemy back
- Meter burn available, which adds a dashing elbow attack after the ice cloud
Polar Puncture – Down, back, forward, light attack.
- Sub-Zero grabs the nearby opponent and stabs him or her with an icicle
- Meter burn: After being stabbed, the opponent remains frozen and vulnerable to additional attacks
Ice Ball – Down, forward, medium attack.
- Sub-Zero throws an icy projectile at his foe
- Meter burn: After the ice ball hits, the opponent remains frozen and vulnerable to additional attacks
(Air) Frost Hammer – Down, back, medium attack.
- While jumping, Sub-Zero slams an icy hammer into the ground
- Meter burn: After the icy hammer strikes the ground, everyone's favorite icy ninja performs a forward strike with the hammer
Slide – Back, forward, heavy attack.
- Sub-Zero slides forward on a trail of ice, knocking his foe into the air
- Meter burn: After the slide hits, Sub-Zero turns around and flings a projectile at the airborne victim
Character Power: Ice Klone
Sub-Zero jumps backward, leaving a frozen clone of himself in his previous position. If the opponent touches the ice klone, he or she will freeze and become vulnerable to attack, However, performing the ice klone while standing directly next to the opponent might cause the clone to vanish without harming the foe.
After activating an ice klone:
- Ice Burst – If Sub-Zero performs the standard ice burst input while next to the klone (down, back, light attack), he will strike it, causing shards to fly at the enemy.
- Clone Toss – Press the character power button again to toss the klone at your foe, freezing them.
- Meter Burn – Pressing Meter Burn immediately after creating an ice klone will cause Sub-Zero to produce a second, aerial klone (pictured above).
Ice klones can be created in the air, and all of these moves work there as well.
Join the Windows Central guild!
One of Injustice 2's best social features is the Guild system. Joining a Guild brings several advantages, such as free Mother Boxes and even Source Crystals (the currency used for buying shaders).
Of course we have our own guild on Xbox One, and we'd love for active players to join! Because member slots are limited, we require these criteria to join the guild:
- You must be level 20 or higher.
- You must play Injustice 2 several times a week.
- You must earn Guild Points every week, either by playing online battles, or completing Multiverse or Guild Multiverse events.
- You must complete one or more Guild Multiverses every week.
If you can handle those requirements, please join us! Search for us by Guild ID JQ5PC. We look forward to fighting with you!
Guest DLC characters are a subject of some debate among NetherRealm fighting game fans. Some players feel that the energy spent on guests would be better spent creating new non-guest characters. However, Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon told us that guest characters far outsell standard DLC characters in NetherRealm fighting games.
At any rate, Sub-Zero has canonically interacted with DC Universe characters before. His ice powers, while perhaps too similar to Captain Cold's in some ways, still fit in nicely with the other heroes and villains of Injustice 2. Mortal Kombat fans will certainly enjoy this interpretation of Sub-Zero, and I enjoy playing him in a game that doesn't require the use of a block button!
Injustice 2 is available on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 (PS4) for $59.99. Sub-Zero costs $5.99 by himself or can be bought as a bundle in the $19.99 Fighter Pack 1 or $39.99 Ultimate Pack. The Ultimate Pack is easily the best value for Injustice 2 fans, because it provides access to nine additional fighters as they're released as well as several bonus skins and shaders for character customization.
- See Injustice 2 on the Xbox Store
- See Sub-Zero on the Xbox Store
- See the Injustice 2 Ultimate Pack on the Xbox Store
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Minecraft Dungeons lead talks its next DLC and the future endgame
We talk Minecraft Dungeons’ recent Jungle Awakens DLC, the Creeping Winter expansion, and future endgame plans with game director, Måns Olson.
Fix up your Xbox Elite Controller with these parts
Need some replacement parts for your Xbox One Elite Controller? From new paddles, grips, bumpers, thumbsticks, and more, we have you covered.
Hands-on with Windows 10 build 20161 showcasing the new Start menu
Yesterday, Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 that includes an updated Start menu design with translucent Live Tiles, improvements to Notifications, and behavior changes to things like Tablet Mode and the Taskbar. It's been a while since Microsoft released a build with any surface-level changes, but now it's finally happened, we're back showcasing all the changes on video.
Best Xbox Game Pass games for Xbox One
Pick up the best Xbox One games included with an Xbox Game Pass subscription.