Most notably, this update brings new options for setting up your Xbox with the Xbox app on iOS or Android while it downloads the day-one update. Also included are new club blocks for the Home screen, Cortana skills, and automatic saving of your settings to the cloud. Parents will also be glad to see some new parental control options are included as well.
Here's a look at all of what's included in Xbox system update version 10.0.16299.4037 (opens in new tab):
- Save me: Settings on your home console – including TV and OneGuide – are now saved automatically to the cloud when you sign in. When you set up a new Xbox, we'll ask if you want to apply them.
- Speed up setup: Now you can use the Xbox app on iOS or Android to finish setup on a new Xbox while it downloads the day one update. Look for the option when the update starts.
- Clubbin': On top of games and friends, now you can add club blocks to Home. Add them from both the guide and the club itself.
- Give the gift of games: Want to play Santa? Give a gift from the Microsoft Store, including most digital games, durable DLC, Xbox Live Gold, and Xbox Game Pass. Look for the "Buy as gift" button and send stuff to friends and family.
- Pretty please?: Now kids can ask their parents to buy games and apps for them with the "Ask a parent" online safety setting. Parents can manage their children's privacy & online safety settings in Settings > Account > Family (or visit account.microsoft.com/family).
- Time's up: Screen time limits allow a child to ask for more time when they run out, but the parent had to complete the request on the console. Now, kids can request more time in email and you can approve (or deny) from there. To set up screen time for your family, visit account.microsoft.com/family.
- Mad skills: Cortana Skills on Xbox let you do more with your voice, like controlling smart home devices, ordering a pizza, or buying tickets to your next concert. You can also ask Cortana to play music from Spotify, Pandora, or iHeartRadio.
- Out of sight: We heard you! Now you can hide your games with no unlocked achievements from the personal and public view of your profile.
The update should be available to download for everyone on Xbox One now. Do note that, according to Microsoft's Brad Rossetti, the update is currently optional, so you may have to initiate the download manually.
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the Editor in Chief for Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl. Got a hot tip? Send it to email@example.com.
"Speed up setup: Now you can use the Xbox app on iOS or Android to finish setup on a new Xbox while it downloads the day one update. Look for the option when the update starts". Da fuq!! What about Xbox app on the Windows OS?
Get over it. No one uses Windows expect for productivity. Well, that's what MS thinks.
It also works on Windows and Wm too
For some reason they just don't say. Example the desktop Skype update hit mobile too and even wc missed that.
Did u try it? I find often they don't advertise Windows app updates...they just happen and go in noticed. Included in that is wm
Out of sight: We heard you! Now you can hide your games with no unlocked achievements from the personal and public view of your profile. We ask to delete them not just hide. We need to change the battery in their hearing devices. 4 years waiting and they can't get it right.
Also what do u mean connected home...its not in the menu and Insteon does not work.
Need services and connected home to hit Xbox beta please
I want to be able to say to my new Cortanaj enabled speaker, "play the new episode of broad City." and it loads up the episide in Movies & TV on my Xbox. I want to use it to pause and play and turn my Xbox on and off. They're both connected with my Microsoft account and network, this should work. The Xbox has the IR the speaker has the mic array, perfect replacement solution for the Kinect.
I have posted that one, connected home and adding the Xbox to the devices list in Cortana app allowing invoke remote control of the Xbox which would be superior to the hidden in Xbox app feature for the remote. Go to user voice and upvote those things and please upvote Dolby vision too.
I hope Microsoft will take more skills t Cortana in the rest of the World to. Especialy heren Germany she is so pure.
I still can't get Cortana to play music on Spotify on my Xbox One. "Hey Cortana", pause and wait for chime, "play Jamiroquai on Spotify". Result: a list of videos.
Qr she says I can't play music on Spotify. I posted that in user voice for Xbox, and the feedback hub for both Windows and mobile. Please upvote.
Why isn't Cortana cross platform feature equillivant? Wm is still the best platform for mobile Cortana, and wpc seams to be the best for desktop and entertainment (Xbox missing Netflix and Hulu and Spotify commands) and invoke for smart home (connected home is missing on Xbox). She should be cross platform equilibant period. Example even Cortana record that which is an Xbox command would be cross platfor usefull for like a Skype call or mobile game. Now that she appears in the settings menu she should also appear in Xbox settings etc...
What the hell.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.