What you need to know
- The Microsoft Defender ATP Preview app is now available on the Google Play Store.
- Aimed at enterprises, the app helps guard against phishing and other malicious attacks.
- The app is available now (opens in new tab) and work for users with a valid Microsoft 365 E5 license.
After a false start in June, the Microsoft Defender ATP Preview is now available on Android (via Android Police). The app appeared in the Google Play Store this week, though you'll have to have an enterprise device enrolled in a specific Microsoft 365 plan to take advantage of it.
The Microsoft Defender app gives organizations an added layer of protection for Android devices they've deployed. It can check domains and URLs, potentially stopping malicious links from opening. It also scans for malicious apps and files, with added protection from cloud services that can quickly detect undesirable behavior from apps.
Here's a rundown of the app's features, as listed on Google Play:
- Automatically warns users of malicious, potentially unwanted apps and APKs that may get installed or copied on to the user's device
- Users can easily find out if an app /APK they are installing is clean
- Automatically block malicious web pages that may be clicked from SMS/WhatsApp/Browser/E-mail
- Additionally, blocks malicious background connections from apps that may occur on user's device
- Allows security admins to create custom indicators (URLs, IP Addresses) for web protection
- Built-in integration with Microsoft Defender ATP to provide single pane of glass reporting in Microsoft Defender Security Center portal, which enables Security Operations teams
- Conditional Access integration based on device risk level with Intune
- Block devices that do not meet organization's device threat level compliance policy from accessing corporate resources such as e-mail, etc.
To use Microsoft Defender ATP for Android, you'll have to have a valid Microsoft 365 E5 license assigned to your device. At this time, Defender's protection is only aimed at business and enterprise users.
Standard on Surface Duo
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.