Microsoft launches Surface Plus program with financing and regular upgrades
Microsoft is aiming to make owning and upgrading to the latest Surface devices a little easier with its latest program.
Microsoft has launched Surface Plus, a new program designed to make buying and supporting a Surface device more affordable. The program is available in two flavors, a standard option focused students and general customers, and another focused on businesses.
The standard Surface Plus program is subject to credit approval, but includes monthly payment options, device upgrades every 18 months, and dedicated support. Here's a look at the benefits, from Microsoft:
- Low monthly payments: Customers can purchase a Surface device with an easy, 24-month payment plan at 0% APR.
- Device upgrades: Customers can upgrade to the latest Surface after just 18 months.
- Dedicated Service & Support: Surface Plus offers best in class service and support from Microsoft Stores. Customers also have the option to add the Microsoft Complete extended service plan.
- Microsoft Store benefits: All customers who shop at Microsoft Store enjoy access to benefits like a 30-day hassle free return policy, a Surface training and health check as well as a year of free in-store support and technical assistance.
With Surface Plus for Business, Microsoft is going after small and medium-sized businesses that are currently enrolled in the Surface Membership program. Its benefits include the following:
- Multiple Surface models: Customers can add as many devices as they want into a single agreement and can have a mix of models across the Surface portfolio.
- The latest devices: Previously unavailable, customers can now finance a 55" Surface Hub in addition to the new Surface Pro, Surface Laptop, Surface Book, and Surface Studio to unlock the power of the group in their businesses.
- Office 365 for Business: For an additional $8.25 per user per month, businesses can enjoy the ultimate productivity experience on Surface.
- Flexible Terms: Businesses can choose flexible 18, 24, or 30 month periods, with the ability to upgrade devices after just 12 months on a 24-month term (after 18 months on the 30-month term). Businesses can also expand or reduce their device fleet mid-term.
- Device Protection: Surface Plus for Business offers peace of mind with the Microsoft Complete for Business extended service plan with accidental damage protection.
With built-in financing and upgrade paths for individuals, Surface Plus is reminiscent of how phone carriers handle their various payment options with built-in upgrades of their own. While not for everyone, the option to finance over time may make Surface devices attractive to some who might otherwise skip them over due to cost.
Surface Plus is launching exclusively today in the U.S. at physical Microsoft Stores and online.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the former Editor-in-Chief of Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl.
god damn it Microsoft.