Just after the recent Meltdown and Spectre processor vulnerabilities were disclosed last week, Microsoft revealed that it would issue a set of Surface firmware updates to mitigate against the attacks, in addition to its general emergency update for all Windows users. Those firmware updates are now ready and rolling out over Windows Update for a range of surface devices.
Dated January 10, the updates are now rolling out to the Surface Book 2, Surface Laptop, Surface Studio, Surface Book, and Surface Pro 4, according to the Surface Update History tracker. Each round of updates includes a firmware tweak to "resolve potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisory 180002," which addresses the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
In addition to that particular security issue, the original Surface Book has received an extended range of firmware updates. Here's a look at what's included:
- Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 – Display adapters - 188.8.131.5211 improves Direct X 12 and power performance.
- Surface Management Engine – Firmware - 184.108.40.20630 improves reliability and resolves potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisory 170012.
- Surface System Aggregator – Firmware - 90.1837.256.0 improves reliability and resolves potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisory 170012.
- Surface dTPM (IFX) – Firmware - 5.62.3126.2 improves reliability and resolves potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisory 170012.
- Surface UEFI – Firmware - 91.1926.768.0 improves reliability and resolves potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisories 170012 & 180002.
- Intel(R) Display Audio – Sound, video and game controller - 10.22.1.102 improves audio stability.
- Intel(R) Management Engine Interface - System - 220.127.116.110 improves system stability.
Microsoft's advisory stated that the Surface Pro 3, new Surface Pro, and Surface Pro with LTE Advanced would receive updates as well. They're not currently documented on the Surface Update History page, but they'll presumably be updated soon as well.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Review: Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Yoga (Gen 5) brings new CPUs, features
The premium ThinkPad X1 Yoga has been refreshed for a fifth generation, and while it's not as big a step as third-gen to fourth-gen, there are still some new features to check out.
Review: Should you buy the AMD or Intel version of the ThinkPad T14s?
The ThinkPad T490s has been refreshed and rebranded to the ThinkPad T14s. It's still thin, light, and packing a ton of features. We used both the AMD and Intel versions to see which one comes out on top.
Outlook.com still down following Microsoft 365 outage
If you've hit a snag signing into Microsoft 365 services today, you're not alone. Though the Microsoft 365 outage appears to be on the mend, Outlook.com is still down according to Microsoft's Office service status.
Accessorize your Surface Book with these great laptop bags
Your Surface Book is a serious investment so you want to keep it safe while out and about with a great bag. These are some worthy options whether you're on a budget, looking for something stylish, a frequent traveller or a little bit of everything.