Just after the recent Meltdown and Spectre processor vulnerabilities were disclosed last week, Microsoft revealed that it would issue a set of Surface firmware updates to mitigate against the attacks, in addition to its general emergency update for all Windows users. Those firmware updates are now ready and rolling out over Windows Update for a range of surface devices.
Dated January 10, the updates are now rolling out to the Surface Book 2, Surface Laptop, Surface Studio, Surface Book, and Surface Pro 4, according to the Surface Update History tracker. Each round of updates includes a firmware tweak to "resolve potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisory 180002," which addresses the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
In addition to that particular security issue, the original Surface Book has received an extended range of firmware updates. Here's a look at what's included:
- Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 – Display adapters - 22.214.171.12411 improves Direct X 12 and power performance.
- Surface Management Engine – Firmware - 126.96.36.19930 improves reliability and resolves potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisory 170012.
- Surface System Aggregator – Firmware - 90.1837.256.0 improves reliability and resolves potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisory 170012.
- Surface dTPM (IFX) – Firmware - 5.62.3126.2 improves reliability and resolves potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisory 170012.
- Surface UEFI – Firmware - 91.1926.768.0 improves reliability and resolves potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisories 170012 & 180002.
- Intel(R) Display Audio – Sound, video and game controller - 10.22.1.102 improves audio stability.
- Intel(R) Management Engine Interface - System - 188.8.131.520 improves system stability.
Microsoft's advisory stated that the Surface Pro 3, new Surface Pro, and Surface Pro with LTE Advanced would receive updates as well. They're not currently documented on the Surface Update History page, but they'll presumably be updated soon as well.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Halo 3 on PC launches early on Steam and Windows 10
Halo 3 was slated to release during the afternoon of July 14, but 343 Industries decided to give it to us a little earlier! Here's everything you need to know.
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 system requirements: Can my PC run it?
Here are the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 PC requirements, internet speed requirements, and recommended hardware to explore its cloud-powered playground.
Check out the first screenshots for Far Cry 6
Ubisoft has released a batch of screenshots for the upcoming Far Cry 6. These screenshots show a tropical paradise torn apart by war.
These are the best microSD cards for your Surface Book 2 and Book 3
Microsoft's sleek and powerful Surface Books let you expand its storage capabilities by using an SD card. We've rounded up some excellent recommendations to get you on the right track to store more stuff on your Surface Book.