What you need to know
- Minecraft Dungeons is the co-op focused ARPG spin-off of Minecraft, which brings entirely new gameplay to the Minecraft universe.
- The game has already released two expansion packs, included in the Hero Edition, but the game is moving on with all new updates.
- The first of four confirmed expansions releases today, alongside a free update and a Season Pass that will include all four expansions.
- The Howling Peaks DLC adds a brand-new area with enemies, gear, puzzles, and a brand-new boss in the Tempest Golem.
Minecraft Dungeons has been an enticing addition to the growing Minecraft franchise, with two expansions already released with Jungle Awakens and Creeping Winter already out in the wild. Now, Minecraft Dungeons is moving into the next phase of its existence, making good on promises made at Minecraft Live. Today, the Howling Peaks DLC, alongside a free update and new Season Pass, are now available to all Minecraft Dungeons players on every platform.
The Howling Peaks DLC is the third expansion DLC for Minecraft Dungeons, and the first to release outside of the Hero Edition. This expansion brings players to a mountainous area filled with wind-based puzzles, baddies, and a dangerous new golem-flavored boss. There's also a free update, like normal, that includes a ton of bug fixes, balancing changes, and six new enchantments that any players can find and discover.
Finally, there's a new Season Pass available for purchase, which will include the Howling Peaks DLC as well as the next three expansions for Minecraft Dungeons, for a total of four. While we can't say for certain what those expansions will be, it's safe to say they'll be in the Nether, the ocean, and the End.
Howling Peaks and the free update are available now, and you can go ahead and pick up the Season Pass right now if you want to buy all four future expansions at a discount. Howling Peaks is available on its own at the same price as previous expansions. Minecraft Dungeons is one of the Best Games for Xbox Cloud Gaming (Project xCloud), so pick up one of the Best Controllers for Xbox Cloud Gaming to get ahead of the game.
The full changelog for today's update includes:
- A strange power takes hold atop the perilous peaks, and a brave hero must rise to the summit to defeat it
- The trek to the top has bold highs and lows, from dazzling new armor, weapons, and artifacts to vicious new foes across three new missions
- At the center of the storm is the Tempest Golem, which must be stopped to hush the howling winds
- New achievements await you to unlock on your adventure
- Free for All Players: Six brand new enchantments to discover
Totem of Regeneration
- Totem of Regeneration healing doubled, from 20 to 40 per second
- Increased damage by 50%
- Increased attack speed by 40%
- Increased soul cost by 20%
- Increased duration from 20 to 120 seconds
- Prospector now triggers no matter the damage source (this includes kills from pets, artifacts, bows, etc.)
- Looting now triggers no matter the damage source (this includes kills from pets, artifacts, bows, etc.)
- Adjusted new "taunt circle + lock" behavior for Vindicators
- Reduced charge speed somewhat
- Reduced melee tickets to 2 (was 3)
- Added behavior which makes them go aggressive when hurt when standing in taunt circle
- They now get locked on you if you run away > 15 blocks
- Increased explosive arrow damage 200 -> 275
- Increased illusion arrow damage 20 -> 30
- Reduced health 3200 -> 1800
- Increased ranged max attacks to issue in a row to 2
- This makes the Illusioner take 2 shots from the same position in a row, allowing you to dodge the first shot, and exploit a small window of opportunity
- Increased cast blind cooldown to 30s
- Increased blind effect to 10s
- Increased illusion lifetime 4s -> 7s
- Reduced ranged attack cooldown 5s -> 2.2s
- Reduced min-distance to flee 350 -> 150
- Miss effect causes a 25% chance to hit, instead of 50%
- Changed how difficulty scales emeralds gained, at Default I there is no difference, but:
- At the end of Apocalypse VII, you get 33% less emeralds from salvage compared to before
- At the end of Apocalypse VII, you get 100% more emeralds from emerald loot sources like mobs, urns, pigs, and chests
Brief invulnerability when rolling (Armor property)
- Reduced invulnerability when rolling duration from 1.1s to 0.3s
- Added invulnerability VFX to the effect
- Invulnerability when rolling is now also always stopped when the roll ends, even if that roll was shorter than 0.3s
- Brief invulnerability when rolling had an exploitable behavior, causing you to keep being invulnerable even after the roll had ended
- Reduced damage reduction from -80% to -50% damage
- Fixed a crash that could occur when launching Frozen Fjord
- Fixed several crashes that could occur when linking to a Microsoft Account
- Flaming quiver now deals additional damage on top of ranged weapon damage
- Fixed Burning Mob enchantment effects and Hunting Bow marks being too large when applied to Whisperers and Leapers
- Fixed issues with quick-equip functionality
- The Deflecting enchantment no longer triggers ranged weapons' Dynamo enchantment
- Undoing the salvage process of an equipped and activated item no longer causes the item to be lost
- Key Golems are no longer auto targeted by ranged weapons
- Eliminated the Frozen Zombie's occasional bursts of speed because they're supposed to be frozen
- Recalling the Soul Lantern pet no longer interrupts player movement
- Fixed Fuse Shot arrows not exploding
- Fixed the Accessibility Help Center button not opening the correct page on Xbox
- Fixed several text-to-speech issues
- Text-to-Speech is now present for merchant interfaces
- Fixed the timing of some mission subtitles for Swedish localization
- Miniboss music no longer gets stuck playing forever and ever and ever
- Fixed missing cage opening sound effect on Bamboo Bluffs
- Fixed missing sound effects for stone heads puzzle on Dingy Jungle
- Fixed the music in the Creeper Woods rune room
- Hosts will no longer hear sounds from other players that are far away
- Lowered the sound of Love Spell Bow
The next era of Dungeons
Minecraft Dungeons: Season Pass
Explore new worlds in Minecraft Dungeons.
It's been a busy first year for Minecraft Dungeons, and now the ARPG dungeon-crawling Minecraft spin-off is looking ahead towards its future, with four new expansions planned. The first one, Howling Peaks, is available right now, but players can also grab the new Season Pass to gain immediate access to all four expansions as soon as they launch.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.