What you need to know
- 1.18 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part Two recently delivered a ton of new features and changes to Minecraft players everywhere.
- Minecraft: Bedrock Edition already enjoyed its 1.18.1 patch update, but Minecraft: Java Edition players will have to wait a little longer.
- Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18.1 Pre-Release 1 is now available to test, and includes a handful of tweaks and fixes.
- If all goes well, the 1.18.1 patch update for Minecraft: Java Edition should, hopefully, arrive sometime next week.
The release of 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two to Minecraft players everywhere also signified the public completion of the Caves and Cliffs Update. That doesn't mean Mojang Studios is finished tinkering, however, as there are still plenty of ways the gargantuan Minecraft content update can be polished and improved upon. On Friday, Mojang released Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18.1 Pre-Release 1, which tests a handful of bug fixes and tweaks.
Minecraft players on other platforms are already enjoying their own fresh fixes with the release of Minecraft: Bedrock Edition 1.18.1 on Thursday, but the Java Edition equivalent still requires additional testing before it can be released. There isn't a ton to be excited about in this snapshot other than the few bug fixes, but anything is welcome. If everything proceeds according to plan. Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18.1 should arrive sometime next week.
Minecraft is one of the greatest games ever made, and holds on to its title as one of the best PC games by continually evolving with new features and content. The Wild Update, releasing sometime during 2022, will update Minecraft's Overworld with new mobs, blocks, and more.
In case you missed it, here are all the changes and additions in 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18.1 Pre-Release 1 includes:
- Fixed an issue that would cause players on low-bandwidth connections to get timeout errors when connecting to a server
- World fog now starts further away from the player, to make distant terrain more visible
- Instead of applying fog as a spherical volume it is now applied as a cylindrical volume
- Beacon's power reverts back to previous one on world reload
- Observer activating without any updates nearby, caused by
- Chunk render distance on servers seems shorter than in 1.17.1
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.