What you need to know
- The road to 1.18 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part Two continues with another 1.18 Pre-Release snapshot for Minecraft: Java Edition.
- Like other recent snapshots, players won't get to experience any new features or major additions in this release.
- Instead, Mojang Studios is continuing to work on bug fixes and general polish before a public release on Nov. 30, 2021.
Mojang Studios ended last week with the Pre-Release 5 snapshot for Minecraft players to test. On Monday, that snapshot is already being replaced with Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18 Pre-Release 6, which continues to iterate on and polish the second half of the Caves and Cliffs Update.
With 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two being feature complete, Mojang is now focusing on bug fixes and smaller tweaks before the massive Minecraft content update officially releases on Nov. 30, 2021. With just over a week to go, all eyes are on ensuring the release is as smooth as possible.
Minecraft is already the greatest game ever made, numbered among the best PC games of all time. The upcoming content update promises to cement this even further with tons of new features for players to explore.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition 1.18 Pre-Release 6 includes:
- The numbers of features in cave biomes have been tweaked
- The game now saves chunks whenever there is time spare to reduce autosave spikes
- Signature attribute is stripped from java records
- Soul Sand and Soul Soil generate below the nether ceiling
- Falling block placing at Y=1 changes into dropped item when landing on Y=0
- Some chunks have missing blocks below 0
- Upgrading custom world to 21w43a ignores min_y and height
- Off-heap memory leak
- Game crashes when terrain shaper data is missing
- Temperatures don't properly get converted
- Breaking a vine or ladder block while the player is climbing it while sneaking allows the player to hover in place indefinitely
- Ocean Monuments upgraded from previous versions appears to have the bounding box shifted to chunk borders north and west
- Windswept savannas in amplified worlds have the incorrect surface blocks
- Nether bedrock roof can generate exposed
- Dripstone doesn't generate at high y values
- Game crashes when loading new chunks (Exception generating new chunk, caused by
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 268435455 out of bounds for length 32)
- Pointed dripstone makes holes in lava pools
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.