New Surface Pro 3 firmware update released [Update with change notes]
Microsoft is rolling out new firmware updates for its Surface Pro 3 tablet. It the first such update for the device since April and its release may be designed to fix a battery drain issue that has been reported by some owners.
Earlier this week, Microsoft stated that it was "working quickly" to resolve reports that the battery was losing its charge too quickly on some Surface Pro 3 models. The firmware update began rolling out on Thursday night but, so far, there's no change log available to see what's included. Besides a general update, Surface Pro 3 owners will also be getting a Realtek audio driver upgrade. We will update this post when Microsoft releases concrete info on these downloads.
Thanks to Ryan, Josh and "WPit" for the tips!
Update: Microsoft has now posted the change log for the firmware updates on its Surface history page, and as it turns out a couple of them fix issues with battery life, although not perhaps the rapid draining problems that were recently reported:
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware - v3.9.850.0 increases battery life during sleep mode and improves keyboard stability.
- Surface Pro UEFI - v3.11.1450.0 improves system sleep and hibernation behavior when battery level is low.
- Surface Fingerprint Sensor - v126.96.36.199 increases finger print touch stability coming out of sleep.
- Surface Pen Settings - v11.0.311.0 enhances pen setting driver stability.
- Realtek High Definition Audio - v188.8.131.5242 improves the audio quality for the JAWS screen reader.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.