A fresh preview update is now rolling out to select members of the Xbox Insider program. This one is headed out to Alpha ring users, and while it doesn't include any big new features, it does bring along some notable bug fixes for some issues introduced in the previous build.
Here's a look at what's new, along with the known issues in this build:
OS version released: rs2_xbox_rel_1703.170122-1900 Available: 6:00PM PST 1/25 (1:00AM GMT 26/1)
- Resolved an issue which caused no party chat headset audio after resuming from connected standby.
- When purchasing an Xbox 360 backward compatible game from the Store, selecting Done to exit the purchase screen now functions correctly.
- You should no longer be unable to fully navigate in certain apps due to the lack of a cursor. The affected apps included, but were not limited to: Baconit, British Radio, American Radio, UrzaGatherer, and MSN Weather.
Controllers & accessories
- Fixed an issue which caused the console interface to freeze and become unresponsive when a steering wheel accessory was connected.
- VUDU should now launch and play videos correctly.
- With profile sign-in settings set to "Lock it down", you may be unable to sign-in again playing a game, then signing out. Workaround: Hard reset the console (hold down the button on the front of the console for five seconds until it fully powers down, then power it back on).
- If you have an EA Access subscription and own a large number of digital games or apps, you may have issues installing or playing EA Access content.
- Microsoft Edge webpages which have been pinned on the Jump tab fail to launch the webpage.
- The screen may dim after a short amount of time while viewing videos in certain apps (Hulu Plus).
Settings - Ease of Access
- When enabling the Mono output setting in Ease of Access - Audio, Settings becomes unresponsive, crashes, and fails to launch on subsequent attempts. Workaround: To launch Settings, perform a hard reset (hold down the button on the front of the console for five seconds until it fully powers down, then power it back on).
Settings - Display & sound
- The Audio output page is under construction and some of the new settings are not yet functional. New support is planned for Dolby Atmos for home theater, Dolby Atmos for headphones, and more in upcoming builds. An announcement will be made when these new features are ready to try out; enabling these settings now will have no effect.
- The IGN app launches and immediately crashes to Home.
- The Wireless Display app fails to launch and immediately crashes to Home.
- Trove crashes on launch when the console is set to a locale other than en-US\USA.
Dishonored: Definitive Edition
- When the console is set to pt-BR\Brazil, Dishonored: Definitive Edition crashes after launch.
This is all part of the Creators Update that will revamp the Xbox Guide, Cortana, and much more when it heads out to everyone later this spring. Keep in mind that this build is only headed out to the Alpha ring, which is the first of 4 rings in the newly revamped Xbox Insider ring structure.
Everything you need to know about the Xbox Insider Program
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Sweet going to check for updates now
Installing now 😃
I 2nd on that installing now
I like apple
How do you sign up for the Xbox Preview?
You cant It's full i believe.
Go to this link to get the info to sign up https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/xbox-insider-program They used to limit who could be in the program, but they opened the program to everyone. I have the new update and have been very happy with the changes.
By everyone I mean you are able to sign up I believe, but you may have to wait to be accepted as there is still a limit on how many people are accepted.
Isn't it now to do with your contribution?
That's if you are in the program
A person will get accepted but placed in the fartherst ring. Currently only Alpha members are getting this update. The next three rings are Beta, Ring 3, Ring 4. The farthest, Ring 4, gets preview updates once a month and that is where new people will be placed. Alpha is for Insiders that have been very involved (Reports, Quests, Surveys). They get update every few days. Possibly of getting 3-4 a week but, most likely 1-2. Beta similar to Alpha with fast releases. After some kinks are worked out with the Alpha testers it is quickly pushed to this level. They could see 1-2 updates per week. Ring 3consists of slowing down the updates. This would be similar to the fast level of the Windows Insider program. 1-2 updates per month. Ring 4 is like the Windows Insider slow ring. Maybe 1 update a month. People have to be involved to move up to the next level. If they stop being involved they will automatically be moved down to lower levels. The upper levels have a limited amount accepted. But, Ring 4 is open for all to join.
I have the new update and have been very happy with the changes.I signed-up ~4 days ago & still haven't been accepted, when I go into "settings" section of the XIP app on my XBIS, it doesn't even list my console's serial no. & name, though it says I'm joined :-/ Any idea when I'll be accepted?
You use to get a message from the Xbox team and info on getting the Xbox Insider app. I joined three years ago and I am not sure how they do it now. I am sure the policy is now similar to Windows Insider: everyone who wants to gets in. But first you must download the Insider Hub. It makes some changes to your system. However, you will most likely not see this current system update initially. New Insiders get placed in the farthest ring, called Ring 4. There are 4 levels (Alpha, Beta, Ring 3, Ring 4) Currently only Alpha members, the most active current Insider contributors, are getting the update. I am sure Beta, will be getting it fairly soon. In order too move up to the more active rings you will have to prove yourself, be very diligent and contribute once you get in. Once you start moving up into another ring the size of the membership becomes limited. So, if you start to be inactive you will be moved back down so another more active individual can take your place.
I know all this...
New Insiders get placed in the farthest ring, called Ring 4. There are 4 levels (Alpha, Beta, Ring 3, Ring 4) Currently only Alpha members, the most active current Insider contributors, are getting the update. I am sure Beta, will be getting it fairly soon. In order too move up to the more active rings you will have to prove yourself, be very diligent and contribute once you get in. Once you start moving up into another ring the size of the membership becomes limited. So, if you start to be inactive you will be moved back down so another more active individual can take your place.The XIP app was pathetically buggy when I first used it, & just concerned it didn't take properly (& hence never get in), as there's some weird stuff showing in the interface, & relentless error messages. Though the error messages have mostly stopped since the other day, suspect that was more to do some outages in the back-end.
I am sure the policy is now similar to Windows Insider: everyone who wants to gets in. But first you must download the Insider Hub. It makes some changes to your system.Very well versed in the WIP, never had this length of delay, & the possible flawed registration I've had so far with the XIP app. Just about ready to say f...-off to this XIP... Best Regards.
Excellent, I use Vudu alot.
I like how the store auto plays trailers of the game you open. Great addition!
Hey guys, any way to see what ring you have ended up by the new Preview rules. I have been Xbox insider for just over a year now, so not a new member, but the last Creative update preview didn't hit me yet, and now I am seeing another update rolling to Alpha ring. Checked my settings and all is enrolled and waiting. I am in UK, wonder if that's something my way or I am just in some last ring :-(
How much have you contributed?
Fair bit i would say, but looks like not enough :-)
It would still be nice to see which ring you are actually in. this would motivate people who want to be in a faster ring to contribute more. Maybe that will come to insider's hub at some point.
Its rolling out in waves not everybody will get the update right away. I think it will get to all alpha users over the next couple of weeks
Yes, it is prioritized to people who contribute.
I think some people didn't get it. Check the preview app make sure your consol is enrolled. Check your messages. See if you got the message about updates and bring in the program. I had a message in the week before the latest update.
I know this isn't necessarily the right forum for this idea, but I wish they would let you Mark games that you would like to purchase in the future. A sorta wish list. There have been several games that I thought, "I want to buy" but didn't because my backlog is extensive only to forget which game it was later. Just an idea.
Like a wish list yea that would be cool so u don't have to go hunting for them again.
A wishlist and gifting are features that really need to be added. They should also send alerts if something you wanted is on sale (opt-in of course).
File Explorer its on the Xbox O_o
Is it? Well makes sense so you can explore files on usb sticks to play movies
Got a new xbox one.....shall I upgrade to insider??
You can try to join I'm sure it's full
If you like early builds that has the potential to break stuff and if you don't mind downloading new builds fairly often, go for it! (If it isnt full of course)
Been on the insider program for quite a while and never really had any major issue's with the program. The most troublesome app I've had has been the now tv app in the UK. But on the whole its been surprisingly good so yeah if you can get in go for it..... Just remember to leave feed back
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.