What you need to know
- A new update is available for Office Insiders.
- The update brings support for creating custom data types with Power Query in PowerPoint.
- The update also brings support for text predictions within Outlook.
Microsoft recently rolled out an update for Office Insiders that brings new features to test out. The update includes the ability to create custom data types with Power Query in PowerPoint, one-click writing suggestions in Word, and many other features. The update started rolling out on November 9, 2020 and is available for Office Insiders in the Current Channel (Preview).
Live and custom data types are the biggest features to arrive on Excel in years. Now, Insiders have their first opportunity to try them out. These data types add another dimension to Excel and allow any cell to include a rich set of structured data.
Microsoft's Insider Office page (opens in new tab) breaks down the new features:
- Unhide multiple sheets at once: By popular request, this feature helps you unhide multiple sheets at once.
- Create Data Types with Power Query: Use the Power Query Editor to create your own custom data types from any supported data source. Go to Power Query Editor, select several columns and use the Create Data Type button on the Transform tab of the ribbon to convert them into a new data type. Finally, load the data to the Excel grid, and easily consume and explore your custom data types with interactive data cards and formulas.
- Create Power Platform dataflows from queries: You can now export your queries into Power Query templates that can be used to create new Power Platform dataflows. This feature allows users to easily create a cloud-powered Power Platform dataflow from the queries they already have in their Excel files so that their data can now be refreshed on the cloud and at regular intervals rather than manually.
- One-click writing suggestions: We are introducing a new click-to-review model for Editor's spelling, grammar, and advanced style suggestions. This change also includes a new dedicated card surface for reviewing the suggestions.
- Export animated GIF in a range: Select a range of slides when exporting an animated GIF.
- Text prediction as you're typing an email: As you type an email, we'll show ghost text prediction to help you complete your sentences faster. You can accept it by pressing tab.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at email@example.com (opens in new tab).
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.