For those of you who weren't lucky enough to land a spot in the public beta test of the new Xbox 360 dashboard, fear not. The official version has begun rolling out to about 3 million consoles around the world and will continue for the next week. Once that first batch is finished, more and more LIVE subscribers will be added to the rollout over the next couple of weeks. Much like Windows Phone updates, the deployment was spread out over time and across different regions to make it go as smoothly as possible.
If you aren't familiar with the new features that the update brings, here's a rundown for you:
- Refreshed dashboard, complete with new user interface and revamped categories.
- Internet Explorer for Xbox. Now you can surf the web from your console, something that arguably should have been part of Xbox 360 from its inception.
- Recommendations and ratings, which include Rotten Tomatoes ratings.
- Pinning. Much like the Start screen on your Windows Phone, you can now pin tiles for apps, games, etc. to the Pins section of your Xbox.
- Xbox Video, formerly Zune Video Marketplace
- Recent, formerly called Quick Play. A list of movies, games, apps or other types of content that you most recently accessed on the console.
- Enhanced Search, which is basically some new keywords, etc. that have been added to the Bing voice search. It also includes enhanced
- International Expansion of Voice Search to 9 new countries – Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Ireland.
Xbox Music will also be part of the new Xbox 360. Another important point of interest is that SmartGlass will also be making its way to Xbox 360 after Windows 8 is released later this month. There aren't any details yet on how exactly that feature will be rolled out.
Review: Elgato's Wave 3 is a great first attempt at a condenser mic
The Elgato Wave 3 is one of two new microphones from Elgato, which aims to give streamers an affordable high-quality all-in-one condenser mic with impressive studio features on the side. Is it worth the asking price, though? Let's take a look (and listen.)
Razer adds more splashes of color to its accessories and Blade 15
Razer's lineup of gaming accessories is getting a colorful new coat of paint today. Everything from the Razer Viper Ultimate to the Hammerhead Wireless headphones are now available in Quartz pink and Mercury white. Even the Blade 15 is getting a new coat of Quartz soon.
Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S preorders: The ultimate guide
Your ultimate guide to Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S preorders, including the planned start date, pricing, where to buy, and everything you need to know.
Up your Fortnite game with one of these great headsets
So you want to up your Fortnite game, do you? One of the easiest fixes is getting yourself a good headset. Whether you play on PC, console or mobile, there's something here for you.