At the May 7 Inside Xbox showcase for third-party Xbox Series X games, one game was revealed that's all about gunning down dinosaurs. Titled Second Extinction, this game is being developed and published by Systemic Reaction, a subsidiary of Avalanche Studios. This first-person, three-player co-op game tasks players with hunting down mutated dinosaurs that have taken over the Earth. Here's everything we know about Second Extinction so far.
What is Second Extinction?
Second Extinction is a first-person, three-player co-op game. It takes place in a world where mutated dinosaurs have conquered the Earth. The last of humanity survives on an orbital station managed by a group called ERA. Now, the survivors have begun The Extinction War to take Earth back.
Second Extinction trailers
You can check out the announcement trailer for the game below.
Second Extinction gameplay and features
Second Extinction is Xbox Series X Optimized, with Smart Delivery support. Smart Delivery means that if you buy the Xbox One version, you'll automatically get the Xbox Series X upgrades for free when you change consoles. You can also check out the Steam page right here.
- This is Systemic Reaction's first game.
- Systemic Reaction is a 35-person team.
- You can follow the developers on Twitter.
- The game is being developed on the APEX engine, Avalanche's in-house technology.
- Instead of being open world, it's described as having a "Big Map."
- Systemic open-world features have been blended with "traditional" level design.
- Some pre-beta gameplay has been released, which you can see below.
- The preview gameplay from the early access PC version seems promising so far.
List of heroes and dinosaurs in Second Extinction
Three heroes and four mutated dinosaurs have been revealed so far. Systemic Reaction plans to have a fourth hero available by the game's release, with more being added post-launch.
Second Extinction heroes
- Jürgen Winter — carries a precision rifle, hides himself, and can throw satchel charges.
- Ortega — carries two primary weapons, has a dash ability, and can enter a "combat high."
- Rosy — can repair her health, reinforce companions and create electric barriers
- Amir — highlights enemies, calls in precision orbital laser strikes, and is aware of enemies about to attack.
Second Extinction dinosaurs
- Acid Raptor
- Electric Raptor
- Watcher Raptor
- Digger Raptor
Second Extinction beta
If you're interested in signing up for the Second Extinction beta, you can do so right here. Please be aware that right now, the beta is PC only.
Is Second Extinction coming to PS4?
As of right now, no. Second Extinction has only been announced for Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, and PC. It is possible that the game is a timed exclusive and will come to other platforms later, though.
Is Second Extinction coming to Xbox One?
Yes. While Second Extinction was revealed as part of an Xbox Series X showcase, it's also going to be available on current generation hardware. Since it supports Smart Delivery, if you buy the Xbox One version but then later play on Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S, you'll get a free upgrade.
Second Extinction release date
Second Extinction is currently available in early access on PC. It does not have an exact release date for consoles at this time. The developers originally stated it was planned to release sometime by the end of 2020 but it now appears to be aiming for some point later in 2021. Whenever it does release, it'll be available on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One. Depending on how the developers grow this game, it could end up being one of the best Xbox shooters available.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.